SDHC Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sanjac

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Looks like I'm the first to post here - wow! I just bought an INtova waterproof digital camera (the 8MP one). I bought an SDHD card for it - it was a cheap one - PNY 4GB Optima SDHC - because that was all I could find where I shop. It was still very slow at writing the photo data to the card. I am looking at the SanDisc Ultra II cards (15mb/s). The instructions for the camera are very sparce so I don't know what SDHC cards are truely compatible and what ones would help shorten the data-writing lag time after taking a picture (so I can take more at a faster rate).

Would you please let me know what the best solution is? HEading to Palau in a couple of weeks so I have to order the cards soon (takes a while to get them shipped to Guam from Amazon). Thanks.

Jim

Hello,

Looks like I'm the first to post here - wow! I just bought an INtova waterproof digital camera (the 8MP one). I bought an SDHD card for it - it was a cheap one - PNY 4GB Optima SDHC - because that was all I could find where I shop. It was still very slow at writing the photo data to the card. I am looking at the SanDisc Ultra II cards (15mb/s). The instructions for the camera are very sparce so I don't know what SDHC cards are truely compatible and what ones would help shorten the data-writing lag time after taking a picture (so I can take more at a faster rate).

Would you please let me know what the best solution is? HEading to Palau in a couple of weeks so I have to order the cards soon (takes a while to get them shipped to Guam from Amazon). Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

SDHC is SDHC. There are some cards which are flakey and might not work in your camera but generally speaking, everything SDHC should work. Currently, the SDHC standard is limited to 32Gb. If you see a card greater than 32Gb, it is non-standard and should not be considered SDHC (or SD 2.0) but might work in your camera.

Also watch out for SD cards (not SDHC) which are greater than 1Gb. These are non-standard and might not work in your camera.

The PNY cards aren't bad but there are different classes. A class 2 card is 2Mb/s or x13, a class 4 is 4Mb/s or x26 and a class 6 is 6Mb/s or x40. It is better to purchase cards based on class because the class is the MINIMUM speed rating. When you see something advertised as 133 or 150, that is the best case scenario.

I'm guessing the PNY you have is probably a class 2.

You can never have a card which is too fast. You can use a class 6 card in a cheap camera but it is like putting Pirelli racing tires on a jalopy.

On a personal note, I've had some real bad luck with the no-name or ultra-cheap SDHC cards. It the card fails you lost everything on it. I now stick to SanDisk or Kingston memory cards. I've had no problems with them. All my SanDisk and Kingston memory cards are still going strong after years of abuse.

You can read more about SD cards at SD Card Association.

Finally, SanDisk II is class 2, SanDisk Video HD is class 4 and SanDisk Extreme III are class 6. But not all class 2 are created equal.

Hi Jim,

I wasa about to reply and saw that a great response preceded me. As mentioned, SD cards are standard. Faster cards provide faster performance.

Enjoy the camera!!!

Joe from Intova

Awesome. Thank you for the great reply, scubadiver888.

IntovaJoa, one more question. SDHD cards do come in sizes up to 32GB; however, the instructions state the camera works with up to 4GB cards. Is that because 4GB was the biggest size at the time of the writing of the instructions or is it a real physical limit?

FYI, I haven't had a chance to use my Intova camera underwater yet, but some friends have them and love them - and talked me into getting one - photos are amazing for a "budget" camera. I say budget only because the professional ones are at $1,000 and up, whereas the Intova was under $200. I routinely hit the 130 foot mark, and other than buying an Ikelite housing (which costs more than this camera and housing combined) for my other camera, this Intova seems to be the best route to go for those depths. Photos are great for "happy snap" non-professional photos - perfect for amateur photography.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The 4G limit was part of the design parameter when camera was developed. Our goal is to provide great quality at unmatched price points. We are geared to the recreational user and not the professional. The same philosphy applies to our accessories, we have lenses, filters, strobes and other items to help you develop (no pun intended) as an underwater photographer. All with the same quality/price/value concept. Enjoy and take some great photos!!!!!

Regards,

Joe

Hey sanjac,

Personally, if I had access to an 8Gb or larger SDHC card I'd just stick it in my camera and see if it works. Most likely the software on the camera only supports FAT16 (I believe you can format the 4Gb cards to FAT16). If the card is FAT32, it just won't be able to read/write it.

Mind you, I have worked for electronics companies and try this stuff on company equipment. :)

Thanks all. I ordered two 4GB cards - the price was right. Appreciate the responses.

Jim

OK. I know its an old post but this is the closest thread to what I'm searching for and I always believe in trying to eliminate starting new threads when possible. So FYI, this is the first post in 18 months in this thread.

I just got an IC12 and was looking at some SD cards. I actually have a 16gb card in my Wii that I could use and not need to buy one. However, the box and online descriptions of the camera state that it uses up to 8gb. In the Appendix of the manual (pg en-34) it shows a table with number of shots/resolution/sd card size with cards up to 16gb.

I'm unsure of the class of the card in the Wii but i remember paying less than $20 for it so I'm assuming its class 2 or 4. Will a Class 10 SanDisk Extreme III at 30mb/s be useful and will 16gb be ok or should I just get a Class 6 SanDisk Extreme HD at 15mb/s and stick with the stated 8gb size?

Thanks in advance.

Hi chuck34gboro,

Q: What type of memory card will work with the IC12 camera?

A: Any standard SD or SDHC memory card up to 16GB rated class 2, 4, or 6.

Thanks,
Intova

I got a 16gb SanDisk Ultra 2 15mb/s Class 4 SDHC card on eBay.

My camera sees it, knows its size, will format it, but will not save pictures or movies. I can do both at all resolutions to the internal memory. The momory card will accept data in other cameras and an SD reader. I tried a Sandisk Class 2 4gb and it works fine in my IC12 for pics. I didn't try making a video but at 2mb/s, isn't that too slow for HD?

Can you reccommend a specific memory card brand and size/speed rating. I'd like a 16gb and the fastest you can guarantee me will work in my camera.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom