SDHC Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Charlie,

I read some reviews on this and other brands of SDHC cards and it seems that even though the specs for the card may be in line with the camera specs in terms of what type and size of card can be used, a particular brand of card may not work and/or be recognized by a particular electronic device. I have found that the Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card, or Delkin Devices 16GB class 6 eFilm PRO SDHC Memory Card work nicely with the IC12 camera. As for your second question yes 2mb/sec is a bit slow for HD but would be fine if the video function were set at a lower setting such as VGA or QVGA.

Thanks,
Intova

Well I have always had good luck with Sandisk so I bought a Sandisk regular class 4 (non ultra) 16gb and it works fine. I recorded a short 10 second video in HD and it worked. The battery was weak so I wasn't able to do a full video like I may do on a 30min dive.

This issue has prompted me to do some research on SD card technology and from what I gather with SDHC and the new SDXC, perhaps the industry should do more for consumers in letting them know what is and isn't compatible with their equipment. I'm not blaming Intova, but maybe the card manufacturers could explain in better detail how their class 4 is 15mb/s when others are only 4mb/s and that their card may not be compatible with all SDHC devices.

So for everyone else reading, don't be fooled by a card promising faster speeds than the standard. A Sandisk Ultra may not work in your IC-12. Stick with standard class 4 or 6.

OK, i've played around with the camera a little bit with video and if the video is short and not alot of background changing, the video will save but once i get over 1.5 minutes of video or if the video has alot of action in it, the video stops recording and doesn't save. At this point, the camera has to be restarted to save anymore data to the memory card.

I guess I'll be ordering a transcend class 6 card.

for the IC12 can u use transcend 16 gb class 10 , because I was just about to purchase this item before i started to read some posts
It sounds like a class 6 is the one every-one recommend

thanks

Hi ctx120,

For SD cards, the class rating represents a multiple of 8 Mb/s (1MB/s) which is the minimum sustained write speed for a card in a fragmented state. Please see chart below for class speed ratings.

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
Class 2, 2 MB/s = read/write speed of 16 Mb/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
Class 4, 4 MB/s = read write speed of 32 Mb/s
Class 6, 6 MB/s = read write speed of 48 Mb/s
Class 10, 10 MB/s = read/ write speed of 80 Mb/s

Since most consumer level digital photo/video cameras encode (read/write) at 24 Mb/s, cards faster than that really do not result in faster photo or video recording. For professional level cameras, where encoding speeds are faster, it would make sense to get faster cards so as not to degrade performance. Thus for our IC 12 camera, either a class 4 or class 6 card is more than adequate. Purchasing a class 10 is just not justified unless you have money to burn.

Regards,
Joe

Just the info I was looking for. Thinking about ordering an IC12 before my next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom