SDI Advanced DEEP dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finally getting my Advanced certification and am wondering. What do you do on the deep dive? I'm not concerned, other than the cold in the lake at that depth, I am just curious what you do on the dive.

I assume you mean the two dives for the SSI Deep Specialty, as part of he Advanced Diver course?
The standards are pretty minimal; you exceed 60 ft, and:
1. Open Water Dive 1
a. Test and check all equipment, i.e. depth gauges, bottom timers/watches and computers
b. Familiarization with area
c. Descend to planed depth and do not exceed any pre-planned limits
d. Dive according to plan at a depth limited to 30 metres / 100 feet for first dive
e. Ascend to safety stop
2. Open Water Dive 2
a. Monitor depth/time/air consumption, figure all times on slate
b. Descend to planed depth and do not exceed any pre-planned limits
c. Execute a simulated emergency that is to be assigned underwater by the instructor
d. Dive according to plan at a depth limited to 40 metres / 130 feet
e. Ascend to safety stop
What the instructor actually asks you to do is up to him/her, not to SDI, so long as these standards are met.

If however you mean the Advanced Adventure Diver course, then you just do Dive #1.

See SDI Advanced Scuba Diver Development Program - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI
SDI Advanced Adventure Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI
SDI Deep Diver Course - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

I am not super familiar with the SDI program. What is the comparable cert to the PADI or NAUI Advanced OW cert? That is what I am after

I am guessing it is the SDI Advanced Adventure diver based on what I have found.
Yes, it and the PADI AOW are quite similar. PADI has a new extra section called Thinking like a Diver, that can be very good if taught well. In any case, you do almost nothing on the SDI Dive #1 for Deep, other than go below 60 ft. The SDI Deep specialty is kind of minimal, with just two dives. At least PADI has four dives in its Deep specialty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom