SDI Nitrox vs TDI Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said tdi adn sdi were different companies. I have through out agrees with sdi being on the sport side of things and tdi being on the tech side.
Sorry, I guess my point was not stated clearly enough. You can't say TDI is great and PADI is crap for their Nitrox courses when in fact International Training has the same crap course PADI has, and PADI has the same great course TDI has. Apples and apples.

How did this perfectly good question about the difference in courses become an agency-bashing?!?!?

Y'all just quit. It is the instructor that makes the difference. :grumpy:

Here's another way to look at this question...

TDI's basic nitrox course was one of the "original" programs offered by the agency when it was first formed in 1994. You might say the acceptance, success and growth of the agency was in no small part because it offered nitrox training/certification before most of the established training organizations accepted nitrox COULD be used by divers like you and me without killing ourselves. By definition and according to the community mores accepted at that time... more than 20 years ago... its curriculum was a little more "long-hand-math" oriented and covered some of the issues relating to handling and labeling oxygen when compressed and carried in scuba cylinders, CNS and Pulmonary oxygen toxicity, and gas analysis in more detail than most sport divers were interested in.

When SDI was formed, its Nitrox program was very much focused on delivering basic concepts with much of the calculations delegated to PDCs since ALL SDI divers were and still are expected to use a dive computer.

If you want basic understanding, signup for an SDI program; if however, you want or need to know a little more about the science and maths behind concepts such as END, CNS, MOD et al, TDI is a better option regardless of what type of diving you see in your future.

I never said they were crap either. I said they have no interest is technical training like other agencies do and thus they do not teach the same course because their objectives are different. technical agencies teach to prep for follow on technical courses. Recreational agencies teach to support recreational diving. I like the post prior to this one by doppler. I think it perhaps better states my position.

Sorry, I guess my point was not stated clearly enough. You can't say TDI is great and PADI is crap for their Nitrox courses when in fact International Training has the same crap course PADI has, and PADI has the same great course TDI has. Apples and apples.

I never said they were crap either. I said they have no interest is technical training like other agencies do and thus they do not teach the same course because their objectives are different. technical agencies teach to prep for follow on technical courses. Recreational agencies teach to support recreational diving. I like the post prior to this one by doppler. I think it perhaps better states my position.

My only point is that TDI is the technical arm of an agency that also teaches recreational Nitrox, in a very limited course.
I agree completely that TDI Nitrox is the knowledge sweet spot.....the old PADI EANx course was just fine, but they dumbed it down to match SDI. It is too bad that divers need to take an extra class to get what they used to have with PADI, and never had with SDI.

I would agree with that. Also i would say that no matter what agency teaches it for what ever goals the have, things some how work out to where the appropriate people end up with the agency that suits their diving the best. Which in the end makes it all somewhat a wash. The technical folks have to teach nitrox to a deeper level to support deco. NOt just puitting out information to pass a test but to insure understanding because its the technical arena that gas mixes are most previlant to bite you. Recreational arena is very forgiving. Which if i remember the original OP , It delt with that.

My only point is that TDI is the technical arm of an agency that also teaches recreational Nitrox, in a very limited course.
I agree completely that TDI Nitrox is the knowledge sweet spot.....the old PADI EANx course was just fine, but they dumbed it down to match SDI. It is too bad that divers need to take an extra class to get what they used to have with PADI, and never had with SDI.

I'll try this again.

You say that PADI has "no interest is technical training like other agencies do and thus they do not teach the same course because their objectives are different."

Since you have already been corrected on this can you explain why you are repeating something that is clearly not true? Are you unable to read the replies of others, or are you lying?

I just spent the last two days teaching technical diving for PADI, and I will be doing it again tomorrow. If PADI has no interest in technical diving, why do they teach technical diving? I am just baffled as to how you can keep repeating something that seems so absurdly wrong. Are you hoping that people will read your posts only and not reading the other posts that prove you are 100% wrong?

John

Im sorry you feel that way. BTW I have never seen a tech card from padi. only rec cards. I will not be so arrogant to suggest that padi DOES NOT INVOLVE THEMSELVES WITH TECH TRAINING. I will go out on a limb here. 1 tech class out of hundreds of rec classes does not make an agency one with a serious interest in tech training. Padi is predominately a rec agency. This is like saying one is not a liar because they told the truth once.

I'll try this again.

You say that PADI has "no interest is technical training like other agencies do and thus they do not teach the same course because their objectives are different."

Since you have already been corrected on this can you explain why you are repeating something that is clearly not true? Are you unable to read the replies of others, or are you lying?

I just spent the last two days teaching technical diving for PADI, and I will be doing it again tomorrow. If PADI has no interest in technical diving, why do they teach technical diving? I am just baffled as to how you can keep repeating something that seems so absurdly wrong. Are you hoping that people will read your posts only and not reading the other posts that prove you are 100% wrong?

Come on guys! No need to get into an argument here. Lets just all get along alright! It's safe to say some people are completely happy with PADI and others aren't. No big deal either way. Lets just enjoy the dive! I do really enjoy the way SDI and TDI lay out their courses. I can go on their site, look at what courses I want and what I need to accomplish to take them and pass them. That said, I am no pro and I am sure I will take a class one day that PADI offers just due to convenience. They do look to hold the dominance in the market (not sure if its focused on tech diving though). By the way I also plan to take an under water archaeology class by NAUI in the spring. Just because it sounds cool....

Hey bubs.

As far as I am concerned there is no bashing going on. Padi has its good's and bad's like any other agency. I wish more were like padi in some respects. Perticularly in the area of being able to instruct as an independant, with out being associated with a shop. Every agency has its main line specialties and side lines. TDI/SDI/ERDI split their specialties in different sub groups if you will. tdi for technical. sdi for sport or rec, and erdi for rescue.

If I were to mention diving aspects one could categorize different agencies for instance

basic OW AND AOW - FIRST PADI then the others Padi probably because of the world wide extablishment and ability to find a padi instructor any where.
rescue and recovery. probably all agencies recreational and then the biggy erdi
team divng utd and those other guys
cave well iantd nacd then other tech organizations.
tech diving iantd tdi utd ect

any way one could go on and on. not to exclude nauii and others but those names do not have specific diving type attachments to them. When I think of nauii, I think of comprehensive coverage across the board. certainly ther are more agencies but adding them would serve no purpose.

Come on guys! No need to get into an argument here. Lets just all get along alright! It's safe to say some people are completely happy with PADI and others aren't. No big deal either way. Lets just enjoy the dive! I do really enjoy the way SDI and TDI lay out their courses. I can go on their site, look at what courses I want and what I need to accomplish to take them and pass them. That said, I am no pro and I am sure I will take a class one day that PADI offers just due to convenience. They do look to hold the dominance in the market (not sure if its focused on tech diving though). By the way I also plan to take an under water archaeology class by NAUI in the spring. Just because it sounds cool....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom