SDI vs PADI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvdiving

Contributor
Reaction score
An hour South of Mosul, Iraq or Ft Wayne, Indiana
I teach PADI. I know another instructor that has switched from PADI to SDI. He said that the certification cards and manuals are cheaper and that the training is easier (on him) because the students are using computers from day one. I'm concerned that his students may not be as prepared as they could be. It's not that I'm pro-PADI as much as I'm pro-students learning.

What is the lowdown on SDI?

Thanks, Ken

PS. Thanks for a great board!

I stopped into one of my favorite charities today and one of the guys had a stack of SDI OW packets out. Seeing as they are a PADI shop I asked what the differences were between the two. The answer I received is that SDI doesn't do tables, primarily computers, and the OW dives more closely resemble training dives as opposed to go out to a platform and perform skills. Other than that the skills trained are very similar.

I asked about the computer part and was told that most people are diving them anyway and if a new diver is on a trip most likely they are being led around by a divemaster on a set profile. My question was what about going out on a dive boat where the divemaster doesn't get into the water and the pairs are more or less on their own. Didn't get an answer to that one as another customer came in.

JoelW

Terrific...another conduit to the burgeoning philosophy that "scuba is easy & oh so simple!!"..."Just follow the magic computer as it guides you on your merry way!!"

yeeesh.

I'm with you Ken. I teach for N.A.U.I. as I like their policy of providing excellent standards while allowing Instructors flexibility in their teaching.

In 1974 my basic course was 14 weeks.Today,competition & industry pressures have reduced basic training time to an average of 6 weeks, with some outfits trumpeting "LEARN TO SCUBA IN ONE WEEKEND!!" Where will it end?

My vote is for more basic training, not less. Computers are tremendous tools & have a significant role in the modern diver's underwater play. I feel they should be introduced in the basic class & then greatly expanded upon in the advanced course. Novices should stay in the shallows & gain experience before venturing to deeper depths where computers prove their worth.

The time-honoured, tried-tested & true philosophy of apprenticeship is, in my opinion, sacrosanct. Master the basics; build a strong foundation in the primary skills before venturing farther afield.

In this era of "instant gratification" we must guard against the minimization of risk inherent in diving. The corporate march for profit is relentless ( Ie: opening scuba up to 10 yearolds! ). As Instructors, as a community of divers, we must stand against the forces which work to erode our standards of training. If we do not, governmental regulation of scuba diving will...do we really want that?

Sorry bout' the sermon, but this subject drives me preachy!

Best fishes,
D.S.D.

Deap Sea Dan

I am with you there!

Jon T

One of our local dive shops is changing to SDI also. The question I asked was what about the divers who do not want or can not afford a dive computer, do they know how to work the dive tables, is their certification still valid, is the computer they learned with just the one dive store sells at the highest profit or would any computer do even if they do not know how to use it.

I'm certified with SDI. Since I have never taken a PADI course, I can't compare it directly. But yes, we started with computers right away. We did a couple of tables in the class to be familiar with them, but certainly not to the expert level. It would be hard for me to stay proficient. I don't live in an area where I can dive a couple weekends a month. I don't have the opportunity to use the tables on a regular basis.

I agree with what Joel said from my experience

"most people are diving them anyway and if a
new diver is on a trip most likely they are
being led around by a divemaster on a set profile."

I know I'm not an expert. I know I'm not experienced enough to know every little thing. I consider myself still in training and go with a dive master I trust, one who is familiar with the area I am diving in. I do this by choice.

I feel my computer can catch things that tables won't, or because of my experience, it will catch things that my use of the tables won't. If I leave my "plan" slightly, such as laying on the bottom at 43 feet because it's high tide, and I planned on 40 feet. Or ducking down in a hole an extra 5 feet for a few minutes to watch an interesting critter. This would be caught by my computer but could make for a complicated calculation on tables - if you even bother to consider it at all.

It's hard to be an expert on 3 or 4 trips a year with 6 or 8 dives per trip. I need to use the expertise of my divemaster and the information from my computer. Then add a rough table calculation to be sure the numbers are reasonable. I think the SDI training and my common sense (realizing I don't know it all - but trying to learn) was right for me.

Tom

I started my course (CMAS P1) in July 2000. It took me ages to finish and we had to learn how to use tables very well. I then bought a computer and use for checking time and ascent speed. Most of our diving is planned by the DM with whom we dive. So ... no need to plan.
But I believe that, in need, I can plan a dive with the tables.
No way a computer can replace planning, if you are a careful diver.
I don't think the companies are changing from PADI to SDI because of tables and computers. When I asked about it to a friend that represents TDI in Portugal he said SDI was les expensive that PADI.
The bucks are the reason, I'm sure!
Sorry for the long 2 cents!

Just a couple of points as I haven't seen the SDI syllabus nor had anyone using that card with me.

I learnt to dive with tables and my Instuctor made sure that not only did I understand them that when I went on higher up the ladder because of a solid grounding in tables I could also plan a Diving weekend that took diving of gassing and logistics into account.

I have been using a computer myself but if customers don't have their own then we dive slate profiles and stay above 60' because the computer on MY ARM is MY PROFILE and if something unfortunate occurs then it's only good for me.

Finally what happens if the computer is lost stolen broken or left behind do you cancel Diving or take risks. Chambers are boring scary places to spend any length of time
Raffles

Ken,
I teach for PADI and SDI/TDI. The differences on paper has pretty much already been outlined in the above. The materials are less expensive, much easier for the student to follow with it's tables, diagrams and illustrations. The table requirement is covered in the diving history portion of the class and if the instructor beleives the student has complete mastery of all required skills in the confined water training, he/she is not required to have the student redomonstrate it in the open water environment.

Now having said all that, I cover tables more than the requirement, which is allowed. I give the students the same rundown I learned as a NAUI diver, then as a PADI diver, instructor etc. I teach them how to use the tables, and more importantly where the tables came from. Let them run through all of the questions and answers, go through the same type of test questions. Let them learn and make mistakes, then I whip out the computers and teach them all about the proper use of them.

I feel comfortable with the amount of instruction I provide. We don't move on until everyone in the class is comfortable. The bottom line is one that we've talked about many times on these boards. It's the instructor that makes the difference, not the agency. Talk to local divers, ask them who they went through their o/w training with, and you can't go wrong!

IMHO Mario has a point here.
It ends up being an instructor problem.
A good instructor will always worry with his/her students and teach whatever necessary to have the person well prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom