SDI vs PADI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Pete,

I'm curious/ignorant. Why do you have to blow bubbles on your arm? Are there breathing cells there or something? :Þ

tomcat

Hehe, sounds perverted... but he was most likely practicing giving rescue breathes... some do it on their forarm, others on the side of their wrist. Whatever floats your boat!

Hey TC, Mario, and all...

Yes, I was practicing rescue breathing on my forarm, you should never ever try it on a human who does not actually need it. However, there was one student who sorta caught my eye... but that blasted plastic thingie!!! ;-)

my gosh. that was how tired/disoriented/unfit i was. didn't occur to me that i was blowing on my wrist and basically every general direction that was convienient. this was during the removal of equipment phase. dude! i could hardly keep afloat myself. makes u think twice about trying to rescue someone without a floatation device.

tomcat

Hey TC & All,

It helped me realise that I never want to be the one needing to be rescued... Rescuing someone takes major stamina, and remember this will usually happen at the END of the day, at the END of the last dive, when you are NOT fresh as a daisy! All of us left that last day dehydrated and feeling like we got hit by a Mack truck. But we left the lake a little prouder, far more confident, and yet quite humble about how much more we have to do to really be in good enough shape to help others.

If that wasn't enough I have volunteered to help my instructor with this next class, 'cause I just like pain, I guess...

Pete from Orlando...

You think that's bad, try teaching a couple of rescue diver classes back to back in 6ft California surf! Needless to say you sleep very well at night. :wink:

Hey Mario,

I did not find ANYONE willing to teach Rescue Diver in the surf around here. That did not make much sense to me, but ALL of the classes I checked into did all of their training in a lake or pool. I would love the challenge to do it in the surf, but one instructor even said he would be opening himself up to liability if he did it that way.

Pete from Orlando...

Heck, just ask any of my students... I've elected to cancel the class dive and just do a fun dive with my students on many occasions because there wasn't 'enough' surf for a rescue diver class. Most students are happy about manuevers like that, because they still get to dive, and they know they are getting good training in real world conditions. Just think about it, how hard is it going to be to do your first real rescue in the rough when you're used to ankle biter waves?!?

Hey Mario & All,

Florida surf just ain't that bad either. Apparently my instructor was more worried about the preponderence of sharks that are patrolling our surf line. Florida has more shark bites (very seldom fatal) than anywhere else. Little nippers too! He doesn't like surf diving either! Out in the open ocean, there are very few and they can see you well enough to know you are not on the menu. Of course gators can be fun too... I have been approached but never molested. Then there was the time we were fossil hunting in the lower Peace River (finding lots of Megladon teeth and manatee bones), one of the dive party grabbed a large specimen, only to find out it was someone's tail... HAH!!! He shot to the surface like a rocket!!! I think he even tried to walk on water when he got there. We never did see the gator, but we always call John the "Gator Hunter"... Sometimes low vis is just cool!

Pete from Orlando...

OMG, LOL that's too funny. Bet that guy never grabbed anything else without making sure it was dead huh! LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom