Sea camp for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul eblen

Reaction score
I am looking for a sea camp for my 11 year old. I want him to learn about the ocean and be introduced to scuba while I am diving and my wife is sunning. Any recommendations??

For a child that young, options are limited. Most "Sea Camps" start with teens. But here are some possibilites.
http://www.islandream.com/kidsseacamp.htm

paul eblen:
I am looking for a sea camp for my 11 year old. I want him to learn about the ocean and be introduced to scuba while I am diving and my wife is sunning. Any recommendations??

Send them to Seacamp in Catalina. It is a first run organization with a huge infrastructure that supports active learning and very safe diving. Do a Google search under Guided Discoveries.

It is not affiliated with SeaCamp Florida (which has mixed reviews) and other smaller organizations. Catalina Seacamp during the summer certifies the largest number of NAUI divers in the world. There are a lot of kids from California there, as well as internationally. X

Any critiques of Seacamp Florida's program are wildly overhyped, as I and ScubaPolly can easily attest. They're still just about the best operation of their type in outdoor education, and their staff are the best trained in the business. Some of them transfer over to CIMI, actually.:D

But they don't take 11-year olds in their scuba program. I didn't think Catalina did, either.

I went on the Aggressor Kids Sea Camp last year,
http://www.aggressor.com/itineraries_family.php, with my 7 year old and he had a great time. There were kids from 6-14 on the boat. Everyone was a repeat guest. Some kids had been to the sea camp 4 or 5 times. Going again this year.

archman:
Any critiques of Seacamp Florida's program are wildly overhyped, as I and ScubaPolly can easily attest. They're still just about the best operation of their type in outdoor education, and their staff are the best trained in the business. Some of them transfer over to CIMI, actually.:D

But they don't take 11-year olds in their scuba program. I didn't think Catalina did, either.

Many of the transfers from SeaCamp Florida to Catalina told me this directly. Some of the stories are quite humorous...especially the end of the week special years ago called the "train wreck". A hodge podge of leftovers from the week. Again, my information is only second hand not having experienced this, but I know these former staff members were not prone to exaggeration. I am sure SeaCamp Fla. runs a great business since they have been at it for a while.

CIMI has one week camps (non-scuba) for the young-un's 8 -11??? And senior seacamp for those who can qualify for scuba cert. 12 to 18.

Mr.X:
Many of the transfers from SeaCamp Florida to Catalina told me this directly. Some of the stories are quite humorous...especially the end of the week special years ago called the "train wreck". A hodge podge of leftovers from the week. Again, my information is only second hand not having experienced this, but I know these former staff members were not prone to exaggeration.
Yes, I've heard or experienced nearly every SeaCamp story there is going as far back as the late 1990's. Most of them are exaggerated, or taken from one perspective. And although I do not mean to offend former employees that transferred over to CIMI (I've known several), I can reliably state that the majority do so out of personal conflict with the SeaCamp program, or they were asked not to return. This makes them understandably biased.

I've had former CIMI staff assigned to me. They tell strange stories too. The same for other "seacamps", ActionQuest, Odyssey Expeditions, Broadreach Adventures, and half a dozen other outdoor education outfits. I think the "rip on previous places I've worked" bug is a near-universal malady for the industry. I do it myself.

I haven't seen an operation in the last 15 years that didn't have chronic flaws or staff dissatisfaction on some level. My own programs included. eyebrow Outdoor education is messy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom