Sea condition of Sipadan on Jan???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,
I'm heading Sipadan next Tue. First time to be there. Staying on mabul island.

I know this is monsoon season. But my friends still want to go.
Anyway, anybody can suggest the dive sites where is better visibility in this season? Or everywhere is the same??

If visibility is so bad, i may just dive nearby mabul myself for critters.

Plz kindly suggest anything. Thank you very much.

Was a loong time ago, but I’ve been to Sipadan in January once (so long that you could stay on the island). Diving is good year round inme and with a little luck you’ll have calm weather, blue skies and clear water. It’s possible also in January. Viz has always been variable. But don’t worry. Diving is good in January too.

How was the diving in January? Any where you would recommend staying or a great dive shop? I'm thinking of diving Sipadan January 2019

How was the diving in January? Any where you would recommend staying or a great dive shop? I'm thinking of diving Sipadan January 2019
Hi,

I have stayed in Borneo divers in mabul island finally, this is my friend's decision.

Honesty speaking, dm are not good except one or two of them. Some dive mates told me mabul smart resort dm are much better. I'm not sure but i don't recommend Borneo divers mabul.

Jan is a low season of Sipadan because of the monsoon. If possible, pick up another date. We had experience of heavy rain and very strong wave, the viz are not good sometimes. We didn't see even 1 Barracuda. U can check my video.

I just finished a trip of Layang Layang where is west side of kota kinabalu. We encountered school of hammerhead, Manta, school of Jack, tuna, grey reef sharks, pygmy sea horse...etc. Layang Layang is much better than Sipadan if u r looking for different kind of creatures.

Sorry i may not suggest u a good resort or dive shops.

Thank you for sharing your experience and videos , and the suggestion of Layang Layang, I will look into it. Unfortunately the only only time of year I can go on a big diving trip is January so my destinations are limited I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom