Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anyone that is interested, the original Lloyd Bridges Sea Hunt episodes are available on DVD. All four seasons are available (usually) and there are 8 DVDs per season. They are being sold through Amazon.com by a guy in New York (jukebox_theater). A search of Amazon DVDs for "Lloyd Bridges Sea Hunt" will bring them up. They are a little pricy and sometimes a season is not immediately available. (about $30-40 USD.)

Since my original training was DTBWSH (Divers Trained By Watching Sea Hunt) (Oh good, another acronym!) and I have just gotten back into diving, my wife and I were discussing the old series. I was in High School at the time and never missed an episode. Seriously, Sea Hunt was the reason I dove in the sixties. It was either that or fly a helocopter (remember "Whirly Birds"?).

I got the first 2 years and they are "great". I had forgotten how many "noobie" actors were in the shows. Leonard Nemoy and Larry Hagman were in a couple and so were Beau and Jeff Bridges. Anyway, I guess our recent OW training wasn't too bad: my wife keeps picking out things like "he isn't blowing bubbles", "why is he climbing the ladder with his fins on", or "why is he carrying a bayonet".

It is also interesting as to how attitudes have changed since then with regard to bottom banging, coral bashing, shark fear and so on. In one episode, "Killer Whale", Mike talks about the Coast Guard's network to track dangerous Orcas that are threatening divers and he helps kill one with an exploding harpoon. The times, they are a changing

By the way, the kid with the bicycle was Jeff Bridges and the episode was "The Birthday Present".

The 4 "Volumes" distributed by jukeboxtheatre are not "seasons". A good part of the fifth season is unaccounted for in this four volume set- just enough episodes to fill another "volume" (Vol. 5) as I mentioned earlier. Whether this fifth volume will be published is yet to be seen.

i like those fist fights Mike got into and the simplicity of the gear.

Without cushy neoprene, bc or flotation device, Mike had to work hard to stay afloat. Overhead crawl with his gear looked athletic.

It was nice to see him enthusiastically don his gear in 15 seconds and leap into the ocean. Such a thrill! To me, this was the best part: love of water, a oneness with the ocean.

I'm awaiting Vol. 3 and 4!

Just got Volume 2 of the Sea Hunt DVD's. My wife got them for me as a Xmas gift but they just now arrived. I love late Xmas presents !!

8 DVD's in the set and 4 episodes per DVD. Watched the first one last night. Soooooooooo many memories !!

I wanna go diving !!

I want to record that sea hunt music and play it while i am underwater.
and beach dive with gear just like his.

I'm finishing Volume III of Sea Hunt...not as entertaining as Volume II...seems like their budget was lowered.

With all of the bad diving techniques contained throughout the show, there are aspects that I appreciate such as:

1. Mike's ability to THINK underwater, problem solving and planning. Wonderful.
2. Mike's absolute LOVE for the water; he was truly Aquaman
3. His sense of INTEGRITY; you would trust your daughter to go to dinner with him!
4. Mastery of his kit; don/doff, buddy breathing, mask clearing, etc.
5. Mike's sense of humor and respect for fellow divers.
6. His willingness to sacrifice himself to save others.
7. Love of profession, versus grabbing for bucks
8. Openness to new equipment and experiments, IE subs and portasubs.

Others?:coffee:

Nice to have you and Steve together again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom