Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got 28 episodes so I'm a happy camper (don't ask me how :wink: ). I don't think the fact that it isn't written about in someones book means that much, it's just someones perspective. You don't here a lot about Hans Haas either. Even Cousteau can be lauded or reviled as an environmentalist or a destructive influence - depends who you're talking to.
I also came to age with Cousteau rather than Mike Nelson but mikes "style" speaks to me more. Just strap a tank on and go. Sometimes there's not even enough time to strap the tank on so he just carries it along with him. Cousteau was great too but I feel his diving is beyond me as I don't have a research vessel, helicopter or a mini sub.
I do however, have a couple of steel 72's, an oval mask and a very big dive knife.

Ditto on the big dive knife and oval mask. Sea Hunt inspired me as did Flipper and JC. The harnesses are actually quite comfortable and secure and I like diving my double hose set up with just a harness. It is as close to diving without gear as you can get and the streamlining is very noticeable compared to wearing a BC.

Sea Hunt has meant a lot to many people. In 2008 some of us were able to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the TV show with a weekend event at Silver Springs. Here is a link to the activities that is posted on Vintagedoublehose.com Some of the photos have been removed by their owneres, however many still remain to remind us of the wonderful time. All participants were juried as to dive gear, ability, etc. We wanted to show the public what the TV show was about.
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Sea Hunt 50th Celebration

If you guys will permit me to (slightly) hijack this thread for a bit, could anyone tell me if SCUBA diving is allowed at Silver Springs? It would be nice to dive the old SEA HUNT set. I've checked on the web sites and there isn't any mention of swimming, snorkeling or SCUBA activities at the park. Thanks.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

In a word, NO. Since the 2008 Sea Hunt 50th Celebration, a local dive shop owner (and participant in the event) and I have tried numerous times and ways to contact Silver Springs. No return calls or emails were received. Thus, I believe, SS will remain closed to divers and the set of Sea Hunt will not be available to the public.
(Getting the Sea Hunt 50th Celebration to come to pass was over a year in planning, numerous contacts and personal interviews were made. Close to the scheduled date, SS had a major change in personnel including our main liason. The event almost didn't happen.)

Who exactly is JC? A scuba diver?

JC = Jacues Yves Cousteau

:shocked2: :confused: :shakehead: :idk:

BTW, the little woman did get me the 16 DVD Sea Hunt platinum edition box set for Christmas. I had to hint pretty hard and be overly specific, but she did come through :D

now I need a couple very cold and rainy days!!! or I won't get any sleep till New Years!

promocop - Santa also brought the recent Star Trek preqill (sp?) on DVD since nobody would go watch it with me in the theater. :cool2:

I believe he would have refered to himself as either a free, skin or aqualung diver. In a poetic moment he may have called himself a manfish.

Now go, and sin no more.

Hi,
I love the 'vintage' diver label. See our Grumpy Old Divers (GODs) thread:D
Meanwhile, I grew up on Sea Hunt, as a kid it was 'adventure of the week' and Mike was a hero with no (very 50-60s) faults showing.
Gear was state of the art, I learned on double hose!
The swimming with hands is pure Hollywood, very few divers watching to say "Oh that's crap!"
I'd love to take the nostalgia trip; where are you seeing these chestnuts?
Os

It's being shown late at night on the local broadcast secondary channel for the ABC channel in Seattle. It's a channel that mainly shows old movies but late at night there is Sea Hunt, Mister Ed, The Patty Duke Show...so old shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom