• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sea Hunt

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by gcbryan, Dec 25, 2009.

1. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I remember seeing those inconsistencies when I was a kid in the 1950s watching it as a new show. And it was easy to see that they were close to the surface, with light waves on them from the surface. Just the same, I didn't miss an episode if I could help it.

SeaRat

2. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Give Mike Nelson credit for being one of the only solo divers on TV, not many episodes where he's diving with buddies.

3. P-Air225q

P-Air225q Guest

I first dove with an early reg with 2 hoses and quickly switched to the new Scuba pro single hose reg. Guess what the old double hose was much more comfortable and there were no bubbles going past your mask either. The first thing I had to overcome was the bubbles tickling as they were exhausted. We were feeling great when we started using a horse coller, Ours had a small pony type bottle that we filled from the scuba tank before we started. It was used to fill the BC and when one of my buddys tank emptyed out early at 60 feet he twisted the bottle and inhailed the air from the BC. I'd like to have an extra bottle of air on my BC now.

4. grandizer52

grandizer52 Barracuda

# of Dives:
    just got it on DVD going to watch it on deployment here shortly....loved watching it with dad and grandpa...grandpa just retired from the navy, dad been in a few years
    laytah
    steve

5. Osvidar

Osvidar Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    So in '65 I'm learning with the MacDill Reef Rovers and it's "Never, ever dive alone." But what about my hero Mike?
    Later, I had that question every time I'd get a student who was a fan (20 UICC & NAUI #2287). Never had a better anwer than "What if you get entangled?"
    Os

6. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

I've only been entangled once and I cut myself out. My luck hasn't run out yet. Now at my age I'm thinking better to check out diving than laying in a rest home getting abused by the staff and dying slowly.

7. DaleC

DaleC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What if some greedy oil prospector wants to steal your snorkel and tries to wrap a fake octopus arm around you! Without a buddy you would be forced to resort to magnesium flares and who carries those now a days?

8. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

Now you gave something to think about!:D

9. duckbill

duckbill Solo Diver

There were several instances where Mike basically said "Do as I say, not as I do." Yea, that's right. I remember him saying, "Never dive alone." I don't do as Mike said just because he said, and I don't do as Mike did just beacuse he did, I just do as I do whenever I can so I can spend time under water! Sometimes buddies can be dangerous.

10. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

"What she needed was a good spanking; I just didn't have time to give it to her."