Sea Lions at Race Rocks, Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had an awesome dive at a well-known marine ecological preserve known as Race Rocks. The name is due to the current racing past the rocks. The site is accesible only by boat, about 15 minutes south of Victoria, BC. I dove with Ogden Point Dive Shop; Pierre was the captain; eight divers on board.

There were lots of Stellar sea lions, a few California sea lions, and a couple of female Northern elephant seals with pups. In the water, the sea lions surrounded us and swam around us in circles. At one point, one of them swam straight for me, face-to-face. I kept my gaze steady, and when he was only a few inches away, he suddenly veared off. It was very cool! When the boat first arrived at the dive site, and I saw all the huge sea lions, I thought I would be nervous with them in the water. But it was too cool, and I wasn't scared at all. They were amazing. They are so graceful in the water, and curious. They come very close. And even when you can't see them, you can hear them barking.

On our second dive, several of the divers had their heads bitten by the sea lions! Nothing serious, and we're not sure what they were attempting to do (the sea lions, that is). One diver was pummelled into the bottom (luckily it was only 40 feet deep at that point). My husband and I didn't have any problems. If they had really wanted to hurt us, they certainly could have, as the male Stellars weigh around 2000 pounds.

It sure was great diving with the sea lions. One of my best dives ever.

With young around the sea lions are very territorial. They can be bad with the teeth. If fear is shown its over. You get the bad dog routine. Rule of thumb...never dive around animals with young ones.

I have to agree. I dove Race Rocks several years ago, and it's truly a memorable dive. The sea lions hang in the current effortlessly, while we hug the bottem in fear of being swept away in the current.They are graceful, curious, playful animals and I thank you Shadow for reminding me of the wonderful day I spent with them.

Race Rocks is an awesome dive! Living in Victoria I've had the chance to dive there a couple of times!! My first dive there was as part of my Advanced Course... drift dive. What an amazing experience :) Looking forward to getting out there again later this year...

NavyDoll

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom