Sea-Net mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to cross the Pond from the UK to the American Upper Midwest once every year, taking in a different side-trip each time. One of those summer side-trips during the 1990s took me to N'awlins, where I was subjected to a degree of heat and humidity I'd never encountered before in my life, and only once experienced since when I visited Hong Kong and was regularly drenched to the skin by the warm Monsoon rain there.

As for the durability of European diving masks, I own one Typhoon Blue Star and two Typhoon Super Star diving masks (one bought recently on eBay), all made in England (see below). They will now be about sixty years old and their skirts are as feather-soft today as they were when purchased new back in the mid twentieth century, despite being made from blue coloured rubber, which 1950s/1960s diving manuals warn will perish quicker than black rubber. I can only conclude that these masks are made from better-quality material and have benefited from being stored in a cool, dry place, away from sources of heat and without having had anything placed on top of them. The "Goldilocks" British climate, never too hot or cold, never too wet or dry, helps conserve such artefacts.
s-l1600b-jpg.456731.jpg

mask-015-jpg.457303.jpg

Hello Mr.Rees you keep mentioning Wright and Rodecker.But you forgot about Hal Messinger.The other American over there.Hal and Frank both worked for Sea Net Mfg.Hal has almost all the patents held on most of the Sea Dive masks.He was a jobber for Sea Net.I thought he was a Lt. over there also.You might be able to track some of his family.Just a thought.Good luck.Mike.

APOLOGIES JUST FOUND MESSAGES.... REF MESSINGER......... NO NOT FORGOTTEN HIM . HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT HIM ALSO. NEWS . THINK I HAVE FOUND DAUGHTER IN FLORIDA!

MANY THANKS. WILL KEEP IN TOUCH

The author of the Cockleshell Heroes books? I see Sam has responded with some good leads and the names of some individuals to follow up on. I'm afraid my own knowledge of Frank Rodecker is confined to what I've read in Wright's Frogmen of Burma.

In the matter of Sea Net, the following fim was shot in 1944 illustrating the use of the company's gear:

REF BOOKS.. TWO .
FIRST WAS A BEST SELLER OVER IN UK. COCKLESHELL CANOES.. ALL ABOUT BRITISH MILITARY CANOES OF WW2 AND COCKLESHELL HEROES - THE FINAL WITNESS WHICH DID WELL AND PUBLISHED 4 TIMES. LATTER IS ABOUT OPERATION 'FRANKTON' IN BORDEAUX FRANCE. THE NEXT BOOK DEALS WITH WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE OPERATION.

REGARDS
QR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom