Sea Potatoes Ever Hear of Them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Evidently we have another invasive species here in RI. Sea Potatoes a form of seaweed that are native to Korea and Japan. It grows on other seaweed and may compete for nutrients with it's "host". They look like a ping pong ball. They form a crust that grows on rocks and "hide" there until conditions are right to ball up. A similar native species is the Sea Cauliflower.

They have been found in Mackerel Cove, East Beach and Ninigret Pond in Charlestown..so far.

We get those in the Mediterranean sea as well, especially the Cauliflower.

I hate those nasty things

We get those in the Mediterranean sea as well, especially the Cauliflower.

I hate those nasty things

That was in the article too. I'm going learn as much as can in the way of identification especially the crust and make every dive this year and seek and destroy mission.

That was in the article too. I'm going learn as much as can in the way of identification especially the crust and make every dive this year and seek and destroy mission.

Im focusing on the Lion Fish who are invading us right now, divers including myself started seeing them in depths as shallow as 6ft in the Med sea and everyone is concerned they will decimate the already struggling local fish population.

How ever until they revoke the rule saying you cant spearfish while diving people wont be able to make such a big difference

So I took the time to cut out and scan the article because I care, however I can't upload it because it's has a BMP extension. Anyone know how to change the ext in win 10?

Im focusing on the Lion Fish who are invading us right now, divers including myself started seeing them in depths as shallow as 6ft in the Med sea and everyone is concerned they will decimate the already struggling local fish population.

How ever until they revoke the rule saying you cant spearfish while diving people wont be able to make such a big difference

Well all I can say to that is there are sectioned spear poles that can be assembled underwater before and after use and as we all know what happens underwater stays underwater.

So I took the time to cut out and scan the article because I care, however I can't upload it because it's has a BMP extension. Anyone know how to change the ext in win 10?

Try opening it up in paint and than saving it as a PNG or a JPEG

Well all I can say to that is there are sectioned spear poles that can be assembled underwater before and after use and as we all know what happens underwater stays underwater.

Where can i get my hand on one of those?

Might also be useful for the sharks who have been getting quite pokey recently

it's has a BMP extension. Anyone know how to change the ext in win 10?
There's a few ways...
  • Open it in Paint and click "Save as" and force it to be a a jpg or similar.
  • Post it in facebook or any other site. Open up the image and use copy and paste.

If I think of any others, I'll post them up.

Where can i get my hand on one of those?

Might also be useful for the sharks who have been getting quite pokey recently

Check online diving supply sites.

Back
Top Bottom