Sea & Sea customer service disaster.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldPlop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm new here, and joined in desperation to try to get some help regarding the bad customer service I'm getting from Sea and Sea. I'm very frustrated and I hope I keep my nerve.

I bought two YS-01 strobes some time ago from a US Sea & Sea authorised dealer (ScubaDic). One of the units was faulty as it discharged the batteries even when off. In fact, when I put in the batteries and put the cap back, I hear the charging buzz for a short time, even if the switch is off.

I tried to contact Sea and Sea USA, but they never replied. Then I tried to leave a comment on their Facebook page, after which they sent me a form to fill and told me to send it to:
SEA&SEA Service 2380 Mira Mar Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90815

I did, using registered post. This was more than a month ago. I never heard anything back. Emails remain unanswered. I don't know whether I will ever get my strobe back. I don't know anything. I don't even know whether Sea & Sea are still in business or not. I'm extremely disappointed with this attitude and will never, ever buy a Sea and Sea products again after this experience.

I tried to contact Sea & Sea Japan but it is proving even more difficult. I left a message on their Japanese Facebook page but I doubt Sea and Sea cares at all. They just got my money and ran.

Can anyone shed some light on this. What shall I do next? Consider my self defrauded?

I doubt you will get much joy from Japan unless you can speak or write Japanese as English is not very widely spoken here at all. I'm guessing you have tried to call them?

A new strobe will likely magically appear at your door one of these days. When we had a similar problem with a YS-01 last year, we sent it back to ScubaToys (where we bought it) and they dealt with it for us. We ended up with a brand new strobe from Sea & Sea. Was your dealer not willing to support you?

My beef is with the US Sea & Sea distributor. From what I understand they are responsible for all warranty claims for products bought from US dealers.

I bought the strobes from:

Scuba Dictionary
39 Waterbury Ave, unit #2
Stamford
CT06902

... which are listed as authorised US dealers. These guys do respond to emails and queries but said I have to deal directly with Sea and Sea for warranty claims once the products are registered with them. So they washed their hands.

Sea and Sea also have a link on their website for warranty claims, but they do not reply. They just don't care.

BTW, yes I tried to call too. the number I managed to find was +1 877-973-2732 but couldn't get through. I'm calling from overseas. Not sure if that is the correct number, or if I'm calling at the right time.

It's even more painful, because I sold my Ikelite gear and got these Sea & Sea, and customer service between these two companies is day and night.

Hello OldPlop-

SEA&SEA has received your package January 29th, 2013. Your strobe was evaluated and determined defective. A replacement strobe will ship to you from the United States February 7th, 2013 (US Time). The turn time for your claim has been 6 days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please be aware that sending items from Australia to the United States via USPS usually requires extended shipping times. Your replacement strobe will be return shipped via FedEx. You will be supplied with a tracking number so that you may follow the progress of your package.

Hello OldPlop-

SEA&SEA has received your package January 29th, 2013. Your strobe was evaluated and determined defective. A replacement strobe will ship to you from the United States February 7th, 2013 (US Time). The turn time for your claim has been 6 days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please be aware that sending items from Australia to the United States via USPS usually requires extended shipping times. Your replacement strobe will be return shipped via FedEx. You will be supplied with a tracking number so that you may follow the progress of your package.

Great. Finally there is a heart beat.

Countless emails I sent, none were replied to. Then like magic, after I make a fuss online I get a response. I also would like to gladly report that today I got the first email reply back in by inbox (copy and paste of the above) after months of trying to get a response from you guys. Coincidence?

Is this standard practice that the only way of communicating with Sea & Sea is publicly online, as I rather keep my conversations private?

Also for the record, according to the post office's records the item was delivered on the 24th not 29th, but that doesn't matter now, it's a minor issue in the scheme of things.

Anyway, looking forward to get a working strobe back and hope I won't be needing your customer service again in the future.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'd just be happy all worked out, I mean at the beginning you were worried that you had been ripped off so with that in mind its a very happy ending. Enjoy your "new" strobe".

Enjoy your "new" strobe".

The strobe I sent back was brand new. I'm not getting anything more than I sent. I just lost two months in the peak of diving season from using it, shipping it back at my expense, plus lots of frustration and time wasted trying to get a reply.

I understand that things break, that's not my gripe. My real complaint is that I had to come to this forum to get a reply. Their customer service sucks. I'm glad that that is now on public record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom