Sea & Sea Mini Shoe Arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daviddupont

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I have a new DX-2G and YS-01 strobe. Can I mount the strobe directly onto the camera housing using the mini shoe arm - 29511?
Thanks.

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a little short. You're better off using one of those for a little focus light and putting your strobe on a tray and arm. If you want to be frugal get a tray and flex arm set (loc-line arm). I made mine out of 1" aluminum strap from the hardware store and locline I purchased online. You still need a Sea & Sea loc-line adapter, though.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I do have a strobe arm and tray with a lens cady. I was just thinking how easy it would be (on occasion) not to use the bulky arm/tray, and just attach the strobe directly to the housing - primarily for macro shooting. Just a thought. I went to seaandsea.com and looked at the video for the DX-2G. At the start of the video, the strobe was attached directly to the camera, not the arm/tray.

If the mini shoe arm is too short, I just wonder what they were using.

If you're diving crystal clear water, you might get away with it. The main reason to put the strobe on an arm is to get it farther from the camera to avoid backscatter.

I agree with Larry. The YS-110a puts out a lot of light and when its positioned directly in front of the lens, it will create backscatter. I would use the arm and stay when taking pics with the strobe.

Regards,

Bill

Definitely use an arm and a tray

Back
Top Bottom