Sea&Sea strobe with Ikelite housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a Sea&Sea YS90 Auto TTL strobe off ebay. I have a Canon G9. I originally wanted an Ikelite housing for the Canon and an Ikelite strobe, but couldn't budget it. Thus, I bid and won on the YS90. Question: I know the Ikelite housing accomodates for connecting a strobe to the hot shoe on the Cannon (for TTL connection), whereas the Canon housing does not. Can I connect this YS90 strobe to my camera if I buy the Ikelite housisng? Or will I have to use a fiber optic if I buy the Ikelite housing? If that's the case, then I'll simply buy the less expensive Canon housing.

I guess my real question is: Can I get TTL connection between the Canon and the S&S YS90 strobe? Thanks for your patience. While I have photog knowledge and experience this is my first foray into underwater shooting.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but have a different problem.

I have the Ikelite G9 housing, and am trying to connect a Sea and Sea YS-110. To my knowledge, no you will not be able to utilize the TTL features with the Ikelite housing. You will only have manual available for your strobe, and you will need an Ikelite sync cord: Ikelite Sync Cords . This is what I'm trying to use. I've been told as I plod through my mess is the circuitry in the housing and strobe is not compatible for TTL. Someone please step up and correct me if I have been misinformed.

The problem I'm having is attaching the YS-110 to the Ikelite strobe arm. It does not look like there is a viable solution to that problem.

I contacted Reef Photo and Video ( Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros )today, and they suggested I dump the Ikelite arm, and go with an Ultralight arm system that has an adapter to connect to the Ikelite quick release tray handle. They say the Ultralight arm system is better than the Ikelite arm system, and allows for more versatile strobe positioning.

I'm really confused now. My YS-90 Auto TTL, as you can see, actually has "TTL" in the strobe name. So, how can MY strobe (don't know about your YS-110) not be compatible with the TTL circuitry in the Ikelite housing? Doesn't TTL mean TTL? Or are there different types of TTL? Again, I understand the basics of TTL but I'm new to this.

Every vendor I've pestered has said the same thing: Ikelite's TTL circuitry in the housing is not compatible with Sea and Sea's TTL circuitry. One rep explained it this way: "The housing circuitry is speaking in English, the strobe circuitry is speaking in Japanese, and neither has bothered to learn the other's language."

But don't let TTL be a deal killer. After a lot of questions, a lot of photographers and vendors who have used both still prefer to manually adjust their strobe. Check out this sticky: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...tting-started-dslr-maybe-look-here-first.html
There is tons of great information from Alcina in it.

I understand. Seems like someone would have come up with a "translator" by now, as in an adapter that would translate "Japanese to English", if you know you know what I mean. Hey, that's a million for the link on manual adjustments. The deal is already done, the YS-90 is on it's way so I needed that link you included. Thanks. If you hear of anything on a "translator" please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom