Sea Shepherd condemned by International Whaling Commission.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
IWC Press release:
STATEMENT ON SAFETY AT SEA The Meeting recalled Commission resolution 2007-2 entitled “Resolution on Safety at Sea and Protection of the Environment” as well as resolution 2006-2 entitled “Resolution on the Safety of Vessels engaged in Whaling and Whale Research-related Activities”, both of which had been adopted by consensus by the Commission. It noted reports of dangerous actions by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in the Southern Ocean in recent months directed against Japanese vessels.
It called upon the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to refrain from dangerous actions that jeopardise safety at sea, and on vessels and crews concerned to exercise restraint. The meeting reiterated that the Commission and its Contracting Governments do not condone and in fact condemn any actions that are a risk to human life and property in relation to the activities of vessels at sea. It urged Contracting Governments to take actions, in accordance with relevant rules of international law and respective national laws and regulations, to cooperate to prevent and suppress actions that risk human life and property at sea and with respect to alleged offenders. The Meeting recalled that accreditation for the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society as an observer to the Commission had been denied since 1987 because of unacceptable behaviour and tactics.

Intersessional Meetings

They are just violent pirates/terrorists who the IWC would like stopped.

The Whaling Commission isn't a fan of Sea Shepherd...shock of the century.

In that case you'll probably be even more shocked to find out that the IWC is against whaling.
Actually they're not.......or at least they aren't supposed to be!
The purpose of the Convention is to provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry.
Commission information

I think a lot of people misunderstand that completely.

Actually they're not.......or at least they aren't supposed to be!
I think a lot of people misunderstand that completely.
What the IWC is supposed to be, and what political forces have turned it into are two different things.

This same sort of battle and shift in mission is happening in the 8 Regional Fisheries Management Councils the set the quotas and regulations for commercial fisheries in the various regions of the USA.

So what exactly are they for and not for? The explanations taken together are beyond confusing to me.

So what exactly are they for and not for? The explanations taken together are beyond confusing to me.
I have given the links - they're supposed to regulate whaling to ensure it's sustainability. However - many countries do in fact act within it in a political fashion by continuing to vote for what was supposed to be a temporary moratorium on commercial whaling. It's because of this subversion of the original agreement that Norway and Iceland have pulled out, and why Japan is threatening to do so now.

It's a bit like having an authority to control world boxing who refuse to stage any fights because the members keep voting that boxing is too dangerous.

Some also have said that Japan has used economic threats in order to force poorer countries to vote there way in relation to the IWC

Calling the Sea Shepherds terrorists is a big stretch. It's not a big surprise that the person that started this thread is from Japan.
Their issue is more from a nationalist standpoint than from a factual one. I don't think anyone actually believes that they're killing these whales for research. That's a pretty weak argument and everyone knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom