sea sick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I grew up boating with my parents, married a boat mechanic and have been on the water in all sorts/sizes of boats - never once got sea sick - until I was on a boat to dive - then I've been sick every single time! Don't know if it's my nerves - always a little nervous before a dive - which means I don't eat much- and when I don't eat I get sick.... or maybe it's caused (or at least made worse) by the fact that when we get into the water and before we get back in the boat we are bobbing on the surface. for whatever reason I'm often miserable for at least part of the trip - once I stayed on the boat while others made a second dive, and another time our second dive was cut short because I felt ill. So, has anyone tried the sea sick patches - and are they safe and effective to use while diving? Or is there something else you might recommend?

Patches work fine for most people. Not everyone. They have some side effects that are minor for most people and not so minor for some. Apply it well before you get to the boat, I think they want it 6-8 hours, but the directions will tell you. I find it works best if you use an alcohol wipe to clean your skin (let it dry) before applying the patch, press it into place carefully and the then immediately wash your hands well when you have it applied. Most especially do not touch your eyes until you have washed your hands.

Oh, and there is another thread on this issue a a bit further down the board, you should look at that.

there's a recent discussion of the patch here

Looking at the horizon can help the brain deal with the confusing signals coming from the inner ear. The eyes can tell the brain that the inner ear is correct that the boat is going up, down and sideways all at the same time.
Being below deck with no view of the horizon is probably the worst thing to do.

I keep candied ginger in my dive bag for students/clients who get sea sick
http://tinyurl.com/zscokkt
it settles the tummy and calms ya down. Just suck on it, chew it around and take your time before you swallow it.
and it does not have the side effects of some of the meds.

I am not a doctor, so take that into account. I suggest to my students, that if they are prone to seasickness, that they take meclizine or dramamine the night before a morning dive and then again on the morning of the dive. This allows the medicine a sufficient time to build up in the system.
Or so has been my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Looking at the horizon can help the brain deal with the confusing signals coming from the inner ear. The eyes can tell the brain that the inner ear is correct that the boat is going up, down and sideways all at the same time.
Being below deck with no view of the horizon is probably the worst thing to do.

Patches or not, this is the best advice. Stay out of the salon if you think you might even get sea sick. From what I've seen, once it starts, not much you can do. Person is going to stay sick the whole time.

Gotta try to get something on your stomach, even if it's just some saltines and a ginger ale

The first few times I went out on a dive boat I got sick - and it was either something I had eaten for breakfast or not eating enough. I would usually get sick during the surface interval between dives - the bobbing around on the surface while going nowhere was just horrible for me.

So I did a few things - first, I found a breakfast that worked for me. I have found that I tolerate scrambled eggs with some dry toast well, and I drink hot tea (not coffee). This gives me some carbs and protein and fat before I go out that keeps my stomach at least with something to process. Next, I had Bonine recommended to me, which is Meclizine - I take a half tablet at night before I go to bed and the other half with my breakfast. I have found that it does not cause me to feel at all drowsy at these doses. I will also bring with me in a ziplock bag some ginger snaps (known as ginger nuts in the UK) - the ginger does help settle the stomach and the carbs in there will keep you from getting low blood sugar. I make a point of eating a few of those at the start of the surface interval.

And as long as things aren't too dangerous to do, if I start feeling at all unwell during the surface interval, I will get into the water and float. For some reason I find that that upsets my stomach far less than being on the boat.

I do get nervous on the morning of a dive - that "butterflies" feeling - it forces me to check and double check everything. Once I get in the water for my first dive, everything relaxes and I am fine.

Anyway, I hope that some of this helps.

I never got seasick. I was always the one who was fine when everyone else was puking. Then, I got sick a few years ago & it shocked me. Now, it happens every once in a while. So I plan for it now. If I know the seas are calm, I'll eat real ginger candy & put on Sea Bands. If I know the seas are rough, I'll take the patch ahead of time.

I would second the "look at the horizon" comment - did my first boat dive while kitting up (looking down at my own gear) and was sick. The boat was pitching quite a bit but because of not watching where we were going it got to me. Also make sure you are not near the engines as diesel or petrol exhaust is really bad for it.

Was in the Red Sea later last year with worse waves (crossing the current so the boat was moving in all three directions) and never had a hint of seasickness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom