Sea Turtle Shot In Neck With 3-Foot Spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Very sad and reprehensible.

Endangered sea turtle shot in neck with 3-foot spear off Florida coast

KEY LARGO, Fla. (FOX 35 ORLANDO) - A $5,000 reward is being offered to help find the person who shot an endangered green sea turtle in the neck with a spear off the coast of Florida.

According to The Turtle Hospital in Marathon, the 150-pound turtle, named Splinter, was spotted by a boater on Saturday on Carysfort Reef off of Key Largo, Florida. Splinter had been shot with a 3-foot spear through its neck, entangled in black rope attached to a buoy and was in distress.

Florida Fish and Wildlife officers responded to the area and Splinter was transported to The Turtle Hospital.

"X-rays revealed the spear went much deeper than the turtle’s neck, it spanned over half of its body," the hospital told Fox 35.

When asked if this could have been an accident, Turtle Hospital manager Bette Zirkelbach said, “It’s highly unlikely this was an accident as the turtle has an injury on its plastron that looks like someone tried to spear her on her underside.”

Veterinarians performed emergency surgery to remove the spear. In a video update on Facebook, Splinter appeared to be recovering nicely as the turtle swam around in a small pool.

"Splinter is active and looking good in water! Sub-adult green sea turtle one day post spear removal at the Turtle Hospital!"

The hospital stated that Splinter will likely be released back into the ocean after she fully recovers. The spear has been saved for evidence and an investigation is underway to find the person responsible for hurting Splinter.

"No words for this horrific act. All species of sea turtles in and around the United States are protected by Federal and State Laws. It is a felony to touch or harm a sea turtle in the United States."

So sad. People ARE awful. What was the point of that?

We just visited that hospital in August, seems like they really do an amazing job. They give a great little tour of the place, learned a lot.

So sad. People ARE awful. What was the point of that?

We just visited that hospital in August, seems like they really do an amazing job. They give a great little tour of the place, learned a lot.
Yes it is very sad that someone would stoop so low. However the statement that “People ARE awful “ is untrue. Some people are indeed awful, but there are many caring, wonderful people out there. And those are the people that I really enjoy diving with.

If the shooter isn't an American citizen can they still stay here? I thought we were culturally sensitive! Some cultures hunt and eat sea turtles like Intuits hunt and eat whales. People that are not culturally sensitive in our society get called some pretty nasty names, but I won't do that. Sucks being on someone's menu.

After co
If the shooter isn't an American citizen can they still stay here? I thought we were culturally sensitive! Some cultures hunt and eat sea turtles like Intuits hunt and eat whales. People that are not culturally sensitive in our society get called some pretty nasty names, but I won't do that. Sucks being on someone's menu.

After conviction, they will end up in the Fed Pen in Atlanta followed by deportation.

Michael

After co

After conviction, they will end up in the Fed Pen in Atlanta followed by deportation.

Michael
In a sane society yes, but not here in the USA. The foreign national here illegally that killed a young woman in CA while claiming to be shooting at sea lions is free today. So Michael I think you maybe wrong.

I doubt they will find the perpetrator, much less convict.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom