Sea Urchin injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Asia we do things a little different.

Vinegar on the wound, then plently of beating or pounding on the affected area to break up the spines! I really don't know how effective this method is but most everyone here seems to do it to each other when stung by the urchins.

If you are unfortunate enough to get a bunch on you butt or elsewhere slippers/sandles come off and you are given a good wacking LOL!

SangP

Update...

Well it's over two months later and my hand is back to normal - what I didn't mention earlier however, is my girlfriend also put her hand on a black urchin a couple of days before I did (Isn't that romantic, matching injuries) anyway her hand is still affected by the stings, her fingers are swolen and after taking a some Antibiotics (although that was still a month or so after the injury, probably too late), nothing has really helped, in fact it's still causing her pain.
Anyway, she had an ultrasound on her hand today, they didn't find any spines, just a lot of infection.
It just goes to show, the injuries can effect different people in different ways.
The moral of the story: you can gamble with leaving it and you might be ok, but if you get a chance, see a Doctor early and get on the right Antibiotics.

I stepped on my first sea urchin in USVI after 17 years of living there. I had 26 spines in the ball of my foot as well as a spine in my first and second toe. My friend was able to pull out 5-6 of the longer ones that were sticking out immediately. I then had to hike an hour and half back down trail to our car, which wasn't that bad in my tennis shoes. I didn't go to the clinic however as I'm a nurse who worked there years before and we don't treat patients for sea urchins. In lieu we gave advice and a paper on what to do-nsaids, warm vinegar soaks etc. As the good ER nurse I am, I worked the next 4 days 12 hours on my feet. As the bad patient as most nurses are, I didn't do the soaks as the pain was tolerable and it didn't bother me that much. Two weeks later, my foot became tender to walk and to touch and then became swollen. I took a 10 day course of Bactrim which gave no relief. I've had X-ray which showed no evidence of spines. And saw an orthopedic surgeon who said he didn't have any answers. I'm allergic to nsaids. It's been over a month. It continues to swell and hurts to walk with anything other than tennis shoes. I have no fever no swollen lymph nodes no redness. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I've been soaking couple times a day x 1 week and wrapping it which does help reduce swelling. And staying off it as much as possible. Please any advice is helpful.

I stepped on my first sea urchin in USVI after 17 years of living there. I had 26 spines in the ball of my foot as well as a spine in my first and second toe. My friend was able to pull out 5-6 of the longer ones that were sticking out immediately. I then had to hike an hour and half back down trail to our car, which wasn't that bad in my tennis shoes. I didn't go to the clinic however as I'm a nurse who worked there years before and we don't treat patients for sea urchins. In lieu we gave advice and a paper on what to do-nsaids, warm vinegar soaks etc. As the good ER nurse I am, I worked the next 4 days 12 hours on my feet. As the bad patient as most nurses are, I didn't do the soaks as the pain was tolerable and it didn't bother me that much. Two weeks later, my foot became tender to walk and to touch and then became swollen. I took a 10 day course of Bactrim which gave no relief. I've had X-ray which showed no evidence of spines. And saw an orthopedic surgeon who said he didn't have any answers. I'm allergic to nsaids. It's been over a month. It continues to swell and hurts to walk with anything other than tennis shoes. I have no fever no swollen lymph nodes no redness. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I've been soaking couple times a day x 1 week and wrapping it which does help reduce swelling. And staying off it as much as possible. Please any advice is helpful.

At this point, I'd call the Divers Alert Network who can direct you on what to do and/or direct you to someone who can help. They've also helped friends of mine who didn't even have insurance with them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor. That said, I wonder, in spite of the lack of fever, redness, and Bactrim course, if you don't have an abscess brewing, especially given the swelling and tenderness. Often antibiotics are ineffective, and draining may be the way to go. I'd strongly suggest you back to the doc (or go to where you can get a good doc) and have them take a good hard look. Don't delay! Good luck.

I have gotten many spines in my hands from lobstering in the Keys. What I do is try to dig them out with a needle and put antibiotic on them keep diving and in a couple days the ones I can't get to or miss are gone. Most likely the body rejects a foreign object or dissolves them.

Most likely the body rejects a foreign object or dissolves them.

And it is easier for the body to reject it after you open the wound looking for the foreign object.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom