Seahunt TV show last episode aired 50 years ago today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Seahunt last epidsode aired Sept 23, 1961 (Thanks History of Diving Museum for that factoid).
Were you a fan?

Did Seahunt or any other TV show influence you to pursue scuba diving?

Yes. I use to watch the re-runs on TV when I was younger. Also I forget which James Bond movie it was, but it stared Sean Connery and was in the 60's. Again before my time but still love the re-run. This Bond movie was set filmed in the Bahamas.

Sea Hunt and the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. Took 40 more years to do but I finally got to "be like Mike". I have 39 episodes on VHS of Sea Hunt. And the Cousteau series was a major event for my grandfather and me. Now all we have are once in a while shows that feature diving. And they are not as good IMO.

... Did Seahunt or any other TV show influence you to pursue scuba diving?

Influence? More like changed my life. I was 7 years old when Sea Hunt aired in early 1958 and I totally obsessed over everything underwater from that point on.

I got a chance to meet Lloyd Bridges in the summer of 1972. He was doing a TV special at Submarine Development Group One in San Diego filming deep submersibles and early RCVs (Remote Controlled Vehicles) as they were called then, ROVs today. I was on the Mark II Deep Dive System aboard the Elk River and being a cocky SOB I walked up to him on the dock and asked if he wanted a tour of the system. To my great surprise he jumped at the offer.

I showed him through the chambers, bells, control consoles, and environmental control systems. He asked far more intelligent questions than most guests. Here I was in the Starboard PTC (diving bell) with my childhood hero! When I mentioned that he was my inspiration he responded with an amazingly modest and gracious comment. I wish I could remember his exact words.

I had heard a lot of stories over the previous years that he was just a pretty face and didn't even like diving. I can't say if he was any good underwater but he knew enough to ask really probing technical questions that few other recreational divers came up with. Definitely not the Hollywood Prima Donna I expected.

Sea Hunt and the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. Took 40 more years to do but I finally got to "be like Mike". ...//....

Sea Hunt originally aired when I was in my teens. Things were a lot simpler back then...

View attachment 104079

@ mselenaous: Even the original "Saturday Night Live" did a skit on who is most "macho".

Spoiler: It was Mike.

Season 1 of Sea Hunt can be viewed on Hulu.com :))

Well, I'm a poor European who heard about Sea Hunt only when I was quite experienced diver and started to look after scuba related movies and TV-shows. For us Captain Cousteau was the most important hero of the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom