Seal Pup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markho71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I bought this really cool Seal Pup dive knife at Academy Sports a few weeks ago. I couldn't resist; the package was partially open and it was discounted 25 percent. Flash forward local quarry dive August 6, 2009:

Thank God the mis-sheathed Seal Pup missed the bladder on my BC. The cumberbun and internal waist strap need some serious TLC however. Man that is a sharp knife.

Lesson learned; pointed knives are a bad idea and should NEVER be placed close to inflation devices.

Flame me, I deserve it. BTW, can holes in bcd bladders be repaired?

Last edited:
Sharp is good! Location may leave a bit to be desired tho.
Never punched a hole in any of my bcd's so there I can't help! Would depend on the material in the bladder I suppose. They are not required to hold the type of pressure a pneumatic tire does, tho, so I would think a repair should be possible.
Knives can never be too sharp, but they can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, for sure!

What were you cutting with the knife, were you diving at the time... oh sxxt (silt) you popped it.

What were you cutting with the knife, were you diving at the time... oh sxxt (silt) you popped it.

LOL ... I was showing my buddy my really cool dive knife. We were floating at the platform after the dive.

gf, to the Dr in the E room as he was sewing her up: "my boyfriend keeps his knives way too sharp."

his answer was, "No, if it wasn't sharp you would have been pushing a lot harder and we'd be doing much more stitching."!

At least you weren't showing him your new spear gun!

Now do you see why shears or a small knife is prefered?

gf, to the Dr in the E room as he was sewing her up: "my boyfriend keeps his knives way too sharp."

his answer was, "No, if it wasn't sharp you would have been pushing a lot harder and we'd be doing much more stitching."!

At least you weren't showing him your new spear gun!

The funny thing is, I've been looking at spearguns all week long. It's an omen not to spear fish!!!

Actually I have a serious interest in spearfishing. However, I'm having some hesitation killing fish after our interactions with tiger grouper in the caymans. Those fish are smart! You can pet them etc... just as long as you help them get the squirrle fish out of the reef. It really freaked me out. Those fish are smater than some dogs I've met.

Slow and tasy is a bad combination for the animal, good for us!

Just don't play with a loaded speargun, and you should be ok.

Now do you see why shears or a small knife is prefered?

I have a small blunt tip too. Think I'm going to turn the Seal Pup into my new camping/hunting knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom