SeaLife DC 600 with strobe - Yes, it’s old and only 6mp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffsky29

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently moved to southeast florida and am doing a lot of diving. I have a like new SeaLife DC600 with strobe, and was wondering if there is a camera that I can buy to upgrade to more modern megapixel level, but still use the housing and strobe to reduce cost of a new dive camera? Or am I fooling myself and I need to jump in with both feet and buy a new setup? To be clear, I want to take good quality pics and videos. Is 6mp enough? I am not looking to blow up pics to poster size, but 5x7 or 10x11 would be big enough. If I really get into it, I can see myself spending thousands, but for now I just want recreational quality pics.

Thanks,

Jeff

Since the kit isn't new, I'd say to take it out and try it on a few dives. It's the free solution, which is always best.

6MP is plenty for a small photo, but what really matters is the processing of the data in camera, then features like achieving tack sharp focus, and finally skills like composition and lighting.

Give it a go!

Hi Jeff

I also just moved to South Florida (dive the bridge) and I have a DC1000. I have the opposite problem in that my strobe no longer works. Without it my shots are pretty bland.

I also have a DC500 which may be the same housing as yours, but I'm pretty sure they are made by Sealife for only that camera so it's unlikely you can upgrade using that. On the other hand, the Sealife strobe is compatible with many cameras so you could start with that, and strobes are expensive.

The strobes all work off the same cable but there are different sealife strobes. I have a DC 1200 and upgraded the strobe to the digital strobe when the old one flooded. (My fault)

Good info on the DC600 strobe. Thanks.

Brewingdiver - have you dived the bridge recently? Viz?

I dove it on 10/21/19 for only the second time, but I'd say viz was about 20'. Not sure if that is good or bad in relative terms yet, but still good enough to see some great stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom