SEALs don’t like split fins either.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the Atomic Aquatic splits to not give me enough oomph - but it may be the way I kick. I really like my Nova's, but I also like the Mares Volos when not wearing boots. I have a pair of Scuba Pro jets but they make me too foot heavy.

It really is a 'to each their own' sort of thing. But now I have all these fins ...

I found the Atomic Aquatic splits to not give me enough oomph - but it may be the way I kick. I really like my Nova's, but I also like the Mares Volos when not wearing boots. I have a pair of Scuba Pro jets but they make me too foot heavy.

It really is a 'to each their own' sort of thing. But now I have all these fins ...
I agree that it really does depend on the diver as to what fins work for them. I’ve found the exact opposite applies to me. I have a few pairs of Scuba Pro Seawing Novas. I find them all to make me foot light. I use Scuba Pro jet fins and am balanced and in proper trim with good propulsion.

We must be missing something in that picture. The zip ties are in high visibility yellow while the rest of the kit is designed to be low visibility. Not very stealthy. Why not black zip ties?

I agree - use what works for you. I also have a set of Mares Avanti Quattro Plus that I like alot too - but they do each support different kick styles. Curious as to what you did not like about the splits you tried?

I had split fins for 15 years. Then on my last trip to Banda Sea one of them broke. So I replaced them with Mares Avanti Quattro Plus for Red Sea trip last week. Oh what a difference. I felt more in control in maneuvering and more powerful in moving forward.

I had split fins for 15 years. Then on my last trip to Banda Sea one of them broke. So I replaced them with Mares Avanti Quattro Plus for Red Sea trip last week. Oh what a difference. I felt more in control in maneuvering and more powerful in moving forward.
My current fins as well. I’m a fan

Reactions: Dan
My 2 cents on fins : a different model means you have to adapt your kicking to the fins. I'm not an instructor, nor a commercial diver, but during 30 years of diving I tried various models. Here's a list in chronological order :

- Cressi Rondine Gara (jet fins, with heel strap) : my very first pair, advised by AOW Instructor. HATED them ! Too tight on my feet, gave my cramps very quick. Tried them for 1.5 year before I ditched them.

- Scubapro SeaWings (1990's ones, full foot pocket) Loved them ! Gave me power, without cramping, used them for 10 years more or less, until they were all cracked. Only drawback : no way to dive with booties on. Didn't care, was diving cold water, back then.

- Mares Avanti Quattro (with heel strap) : great ! Dived them the most : warm water, cold water, cave (not great for helicopter of back kick), with a wet suit or dry suit.

- Mares Avanti Tre (full foot pocket) : not bad at all, but maybe not so powerful. Warm water diving and swimming pool training with them

- Force Fins Pro : thought about them for years (almost impossible to get in Europe before Internet). My favourites so far. I KNOW some people DO hate them, but they are just perfect for me. I'm even considering buying another pair to dive with my dry suit (need a larger foot book to fit the booties in). 2 years a ago, in the Azores, I spent one hour underwater, then about 2 hours drifting top side, the boat had missed us and went in the wrong direction. It was impossible to get to ashore (too far + current), but I was able to help gather all buddies around and even to tract a guy or 2. In the end, I was one the few who were not cramping.

- Mares Power Plana : for dry suit diving, the only ones where I can fit my booties in. Stiff as boards, heavy like hell, but they do the trick just fine. Although, I've never spent more than 1.5 hours with on, after that maybe...

(Thanks for bearing with me after that boring enumeration :wink:) All I want to say is this : one must not think he could use model A like model B. You have to adapt your technique to your fins and besides we're not the same (height, weight, experience, stamina, goals in a dive, diving site...).

Adaptation was compulsory for me with the Force Fins and with the Power Plana (had to learn again how to kick) and I fear we divers do forget that too often when changing gear.

Split fins is not for me. Took 15 years for this idiot (me) to figure it out. How some genius to convince a lot of people to use it is just beyond my comprehension. Frogs & fish don’t have split fins.

I did a fin test once at the Sonoma State U pool with several types and styles of fins. My least favorite were Nova’s. I used black Apollo Bio Fins and liked them better than the Nova’s. I used Scubapro twin jets against the Apollo’s and had mixed results which means they were pretty close to equal. Regular SP Jets provided more power but wore me out faster. Mares Quattro’s had a “dead” spot at the directional switch that I didn’t like, and freediving fins blew them all away.
Made the same comparison several times, also with my wife and my two sons, and the result was always the same: nothing beats free diving fins. They are manufactured of different length and different stiffness, and the best ones have interchangeable blades, so you can set them properly for the real usage, the amount of drag you have to win, etc.
Also consider that jetfins or split fins are the same since decades, no evolution, freediving fins are instead being strongly improved year after year, in the last 20 years both materials and shapes changed incredibly, boosting the performances even further. This resulted in a huge variety of fins and blades, and you need time and tests for selecting the proper high-end freediving fins for your usages. You probably need to own at least two or three sets. And they are very expensive!
But there is no contest: when you need to swim against current, or to carry an heavy load up to surface without the help of your BCD, nothing surpasses their thrust. On the other side, they are soft and elastic, impossible to get cramps if they are of the proper length and stiffness for your legs.
Someone is against long, flat freediving fins as they make it difficult to perform frog kick, which is true. But I and my wife did use them for cave diving (at Capo Caccia, Sardinia) for more than 10 years, and we developed alternative kicking styles, which are more efficient and with less water perturbation.
The most interesting one is the horizontal scissor kick. The legs are kept perfectly straight and perfectly horizontal (not raised up, with flexed knees, with the risk to touch the ceiling of cave destroying the red coral living there).
You slowly open your legs, up to an angle of +/- 45° (that is 90° in total) keeping the fins flat (horizontal blade), so they will not create a significant reverse drag. When the legs are open wide, you close them quickly, angling the fins so that their blades are almost vertical, and they squeeze the water one against the other (the lower face of the blades will be face to face at the end of the squeeze). This pushes you forward, with the water being pushed backward (not down, not up). At this point you are launched fast, in a very hydrodynamic position with minimal drag, and you stay still taking profit of inertia.
A good horizontal scissor kick with long freediving fins can make you advance up to 5-6 meters, against the 1.5-2 meters you get with traditional frog kick and jetfins. And keeping a much more streamlined profile, as the legs are always perfectly straight, no risk to touch the bottom with your knees or the ceiling with your heels.
Of course there is also a reverse horizontal scissor kick (much less efficient, indeed) for going backwards inside a tunnel: keep the blades vertical while enlarging quickly your legs, and then close them more slowly keeping the blades horizontal.
No training agency actually suggests to use long freediving fins for cave diving, nor teaches these special kicking styles. I and my wife are a bit heretic here...

I've tried Jet Fins (the real thing, not clones) three times; three times I sold them later. Felt awful on m,y foot and were too heavy for my trim.
Now I use Deep Six Eddys....feel great on my foot and are not heavy.

In between I've had a little of everything....still use my Dive Rites if I'm not travelling by air, but the Eddys are better to trravel with.

I stopped flutter kicking except in extreme currents many years ago. Frog kick only these days.

Last Bonaire trip I gave a frog-kick seminar to a bunch of folks on the trip, and then we went in the water and tried it. People were switching fins with each other, moving around. One guy with TUSA splits bought a pair of Eddys afterwards. The guys with Atomic splits said he was fine...I switched fins with him and I could barely move forward with a frog kick, and he was zooming round. The guy with Novas did pretty well.

Lessons learned: what fin is best for you depends on your trim, your leg/ankle/calf strength, your kick....I've stopped recommending fins to people except for heavy or light, once I see their trim.

The most interesting one is the horizontal scissor kick. The legs are kept perfectly straight and perfectly horizontal (not raised up, with flexed knees, with the risk to touch the ceiling of cave destroying the red coral living there).
You slowly open your legs, up to an angle of +/- 45° (that is 90° in total) keeping the fins flat (horizontal blade), so they will not create a significant reverse drag. When the legs are open wide, you close them quickly, angling the fins so that their blades are almost vertical, and they squeeze the water one against the other (the lower face of the blades will be face to face at the end of the squeeze). This pushes you forward, with the water being pushed backward (not down, not up). At this point you are launched fast, in a very hydrodynamic position with minimal drag, and you stay still taking profit of inertia.
What you are describing sounds like the usual "modified frog kick." It is not really a scissor kick because the legs do not pass each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom