SEALS, Drager, 02 toxicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The grenades had already stopped. They were about in the middle of the channel when they heard a large ship. They dove to the bottom of the channel, approx. 50FSW. What else do you have to do when on the bottom, but wait.

Brothers & Sisters of Rebreathing,

Here's some refrence material for you:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/pulo2tox.htm

The extent to which oxygen toxicity becomes viable is proportional to the extent of duration, repetitiveness and overall effect. You would do well to search the Navy SEAL research sites and also read up on the cumulative studies of SEALs and other divers to get the best determination on this.

A dive sport doctor is going to give you a conservative figure, (all the better to protect you with).

Mind, I'm not trying to correct anybody. Being cautious is our primary concern as civilian or military swimmers. Each modality of diving has its place, be it hookah, hardhat, free, O2, immersion or mixed gas. Being proficient is being safe.

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

The LAR V is an O2 rebreather. SOPs state that one dive to 70 feet can be done to 1. avoid detection 2. avoid death 3. if absolutely mandatory i.e. penetrate under a concrete wall. I might be a little rusty on that. And yes, that shoots your PPO2 sky high for a brief period.
Anything else is the Mark XV or XVI, with full mix capabilities. You can pick your depth with that bad boy.

If I remember correctly the us navy puts a 100ft limit on the mark xv and xvii and can only be broken with special permission fro the dive officer in charge.

Back
Top Bottom