Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix Jr. Infrared Beacon – Tactical Night Vision Company

I do not use this exact model, but I use a very similar (cheaper) model for work on my helmet for IFF purposes. It just snaps right onto the battery and provides 96 hours of strobe. It can be seen very far through NVD's. nothing you need to do as SAR will have the necessary assets to see it.

Worth mentioning that most civilian cell phone cameras pick up the IR signal as well, which is kind of fun to play with. They can also be seen through (most) clothing and underwater. I've seen the programmable Phoenix Jr. for $10. Price seems to vary greatly, but the size can't be beat. It's definitely not a comprehensive beacon, but just another tool for the toolbox.

Thanks for the post on this, I've been a little caught up and didn't get back to the thread very quickly. They are a neat little gadget to play with, if nothing else.

I mean the MS2000 is a pretty comprehensive beacon, but it's also 4× the size and a 1/16th of the battery life.

To be fair though, an MS2000 can be seen from very high, and very far....

All of this is pretty moot as non of this can be used unless SAR or other assets are within LOS.

Outside of that, those GPS things are the only thing I can think of that will help you.

I found a better one for $15.98, waterproof to 328' (100m) depth :D

You just clip it to your BCD shoulder strap.

Pelican™ 2130IR Mini Flasher Infra-Red LED | PelicanCasesForLess.com

Pelican™ 2130IR Mini Flasher Infra-Red LED
The LED marker Light is designed to work with night vision (NV). LED pulses at a frequency of two pulses per second for up to 65 hours of operation. This small .56 oz (16 gr) flashlight includes a heavy-duty clip and ring, which can attach to anything, making the Mini Flasher™ easy to pack or carry when not in use. The Mini Flasher™ includes 2 coin cell batteries and it is ATEX approved. Unconditionally Guaranteed... forever.

Specifications:

• Submersible to 328 feet (100 meters)
  • Visibility: .5 mile
  • Candlepower: 4,000 CP
  • Lumens: 4.7
  • Weight with Batteries: .56 oz (16 gr)
  • Batteries: 2 Coin Alkaline Cells
  • Amps: 0.016
  • Volts: 3.0Watts: 0.048
  • Lamp Life: 10,000 Hours
  • Battery Burn Time: 130 Hours @ 50° F (10° C)
  • Color: Black

Approvals:
  • ATEX European Certificate, Category 3 (Zone II)
image.jpeg

irmarkliteirmarklitestrobe_small.jpg

, ,

, ,
AA bat. 1mi viz. 300m rated

All you need is $80 and .gov/.mil authorization ...

Phoenix Jr. Infrared Beacon – Tactical Night Vision Company

I do not use this exact model, but I use a very similar (cheaper) model for work on my helmet for IFF purposes. It just snaps right onto the battery and provides 96 hours of strobe. It can be seen very far through NVD's. nothing you need to do as SAR will have the necessary assets to see it.

This kind of limits utilty if you want to stay on the up-and-up ...
This Item is ITAR controlled and cannot be shipped or carried outside the United States without express written permission from the United States Department of State.

Ebay is your friend... ITAR only applies to us US guys sending stuff outside the country. People out of the country can ignore it. I simply provided a link. You can find this strobe on Ebay from OCONUS sources.

Ebay is your friend... ITAR only applies to us US guys sending stuff outside the country. People out of the country can ignore it. I simply provided a link. You can find this strobe on Ebay from OCONUS sources.

That is great if you live or have a vacay home outside the US or always stay in the US. More problematic if you are US based and travel elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom