Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have contacts that are expert at reading current charts and formulating drift projections?

NOAA?

Universities?

Does anybody have contacts that are expert at reading current charts and formulating drift projections?

NOAA?

Universities?
I have been reaching out all morning - I found data for currents, but I do not have MATLAB or compatable program to even open much less interpret the data set here at work.

Data Download:
NetCDF Subset Service for Grids

Data Source:
HYCOM + NCODA Gulf of Mexico 1/25° Analysis (GOMu0.04/expt_90.1m000)

Last night after reading about testing EPIRB/PLB beacons I wondered if there was a way to set some sort of tracking device on a floating item to provide actual drift tracking.

Then I read that someone else suggested that in a post above.

Using an EPIRB/PLB is not likely a good option but check with SARSAT folks. Read this below:

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Beacon Testing

Another option is using a Spot device that can provide trackable data points at some interval.

SPOT Personal Tracker

From that website read the "Track Progress" section. I can't copy it.

You can get a free 30 day license for matlab here: Free Product Trial
I have a full version, at home, but apparently the City doesn't see the need to let me install MATLAB on my work computer - something about not "required" for my job.

It sounds like a drift model was not done by local SAR, if that is the case, perhaps Cameron's incident will provide motivation for all divers who visit Mexico to put pressure on them to invest in better tech and skills to improve their SAR response.

News release: to Canada, United States, Mexico

March 20, 2019, 8:00 AM

Cozumel, Mexico

Search for missing Canadian Diver now in day 4

The search and rescue efforts are escalating for Quebec, Canada resident, Cameron Donaldson. Donaldson was reported missing by his mother when he failed to return from an afternoon scuba dive at Playa Las Rocas, located at the north end of Cozumel, Mexico, on March 16, 2019.

Early yesterday morning, a ground search team was delivered by boat to a rugged and unpopulated area at the northern tip of the island area, which cannot be reached by vehicle. Technical divers using “rebreathers” (which allow extended diving times) entered the water to re-search the area Donaldson dived. As well, the search by air and sea continued, including a helicopter belonging to the Mexican governor for the state of Quintana Roo, where Cozumel is located.

Some of the search vehicles are provided by the Mexican government and some have been privately chartered through a crowd-funding campaign launched and supported by Donaldson’s many friends and admirers. Their GoFundMe page has raised $50,000 in a couple of days: Click here to support Find Cameron Donaldson organized by Friends of Northernone

Those funds are being rapidly used; airplanes and helicopters necessary for this type of search rent out as high as $1,000/hour and time passes, the area being searched has widened greatly, due to the rapid, swirling currents of the Gulf of Mexico. Analysis of those current patterns is guiding the search efforts, and other countries, including Cuba and the southern United States have been alerted to the possibility that Donaldson may be drifting into their waters.

“Cameron is a very experienced and resourceful diver,” said his friend and fellow diver, Ray Moore. “He’s kind and generous and widely admired by everyone who has met him. He has done so much for so many people and we want to pay it forward. I encourage people to visit our GoFundMe page to help us bring him home to his family and to the youth he works with in northern Canada.”

Donaldson works summers in a small village with the Cree First Nation Peoples on the eastern side of James Bay. A social worker/therapist for complex cases in a traditional trauma therapy program, he introduced a free, therapeutic, adapted dive training for people handicapped and or/with complex post traumatic stress disorder as a means of building confidence and finding peace. www.Kuuchiitaau.com

For more information:

Ray Moore

Email: rayfromtejas@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom