Search Continues One Year Later for Cave Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(1) I too doubted the "facts" mentioned, one reason I referenced the link

(2) The article evens mention the employee by name who supposedly let him in. If that is not correct I am very sorry for the employee who had his name smeared.

Scuba Steve (3) Why would this thread belong in the Mexico Forum?

It's not a "fact" that Vortex is one of the most dangerous caves in the world.

First I have heard of an employee opening the gate. Any chance a reporter might get it wrong?

... sounds more to me like the family is establishing some "facts" for a wrongful death lawsuit ...

Edd says he's not back there ... and if Edd can't make it through the opening at the back of that cave, I'm hard-pressed to believe an untrained diver with a cobbled-together rig and a hard hat could have ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
First I have heard of an employee opening the gate. Any chance a reporter might get it wrong?

It's probably correct. I heard from at least two different sources when the search initially started that the gate was either unlocked for him, or that he was given a key by the employee stated in the article. There was also some mention made of that in one of the threads, because it was mentioned that there was a problem finding the key when the alarm that he was missing was originally raised.

I was actually told a bit more about how this situation came about, but since it's hearsay and unconfirmed, I won't post that part.

The article gives insight into Ben McDaniel's families anguish over the last year.

Interestingly it also gave some facts that I didnt know:
describes Vortex Spring as one of the most dangerous underwater caves in the world,
said that a Vortex Spring employee unlocked the gate.
quotes a brother wondering about ????

The article also leaves out a bunch of facts.

1.) Ben was not certified to Cave Dive, nor had he even started taking classes.
2.) Ben had replaced the chain hinge bolts on the gate with his own locks, so he could get in when he wanted, without the regular key.
3.) It's reported that Ben had been sneaking into Vortex at night to dive w/o registering with the office.
4.) Ben's gear was a cluster-fluck. He had brass DIN/yoke converters on his regs and one of his deco bottles didn't have a valve knob on it and he had to open it with a pair of pliers he had bungee'd to the cylinder.
5.) Ben owed the IRS $50k in upaid taxes
6.) Ben owed Tennesee state Dept of Revenue several thousand also
7.) You don't have that kind of backlog of dept to the government without having other outstanding financial issues also.
8.) none of the search teams found any evidence that anyone had been back in the cave (scrape marks, etc.)

Moving this to the mexico forum is almost quite fitting... :D

It sure doesn't belong in Cave Diving forum as "he wasn't in there".

....... I just hope that this incident does not cast a shadow over the entire cave community to the general public. It is hard enough to maintain parks and cave diving opportunities.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

That is a valid point given the article makes it sound like he was a certified cave diver.

The link is below in blue. I dont know why it doesnt say wwww.
. Search Continues One Year Later for Cave Diver....

Last edited:
If you'd like info on this case please search for the previous threads. This has been covered in nauseating detail.

Many brave divers have taken risks searching that cave and have found no evidence to suggest he died there. These divers were then called cowards by the family for not killing themselves in their attempts to find him.

Btw, I was there last month and heard that same employee opened the gate.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

This is very much still under investivation and everything that those of us know who was there doesn't need to ne plastered all over the net right now. There is one show producing a segment on this and another documentary being made so you will have plenty of answers soon, except where is Ben.

Bob many veteran cave explorers call Vortex the most dangerous because its not a natural cave. Due to much excavation it is diveable but not the most stable of caves. Personally I think the lights that draw OW divers down to the gate makes it a very dangerous place.

Why is this in the basic section?

And why not in the advanced / cave diver section?

Or the RIP section?

Or in Whine and Cheese?

Do we have a Dead Horse subforum, yet? :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom