Search & Rescue in my future.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wFeather

New
Reaction score
First off, very nice forum.

I'm in the process of becoming a certified diver. I hope to continue on that path over time and move into search and rescue. Any pointers on gear, training, etc. I would really like to hear from you experienced Public Safely divers. Your info will be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the hiring process of my local Fire Dept now.

wFeather:

I'm in the process of becoming a certified diver. I hope to continue on that path over time and move into search and rescue. Any pointers on gear, training, etc. I would really like to hear from you experienced Public Safely divers. Your info will be greatly appreciated.

WF,

Welcome aboard! The Scuba Board is a good place to get all sorts of questions answered. We have a lot of really educated and high-level writers in many fields, such as Doc Deco in decompression theory, and Doc's Saturation, Vikingo, and Stein in medicine. We also have lots of folk at various levels of diving who are willing to share their "I learned about diving from that!" stories.

As a Public Safety Diving Instructor for IANTD, my best advice would be for you to seek out good instructors and always work to increase your diving knowledge. Learn good, safe diving practices from the start, and practice until they are automatic. When you are comfortable with yourself under difficult conditions, you'll be ready for Public Safety Diving work.

Good luck with your Fire Department career, and enjoy your diving!

wFeather:

Several things.

First off check with the department you are testing for and they will guide you as to equipment and training. There is no one set of equipment that will work everywhere. What we use here might not be the right gear for your area.

For Search and Recovery there can be a wide variety of gear as time is on your side. For Rescue the tide changes and gear needs to be simple, fast and easy to get into and reliable. Every extra hose you have presents a problem so keep it simple and streamlined.

It's not easy to get certified then try to get PSD training on your own. Most of the better training is restricted to teams.

We do bring non divers onto the team but we have worked with them over a period of time. When they start the certification process I attend their classes with them so I know their strong and weak points. Once we get them comfortable in the water the PSD process starts.

Once you can get into your gear in under 5 minutes "and be right every time". And if you don't have any problems snuggling up to a dead person that may or may not be in one piece in conditions most divers won't even suit up for. Your on the right road to being a PSD on the rescue side.

Search and recovery is about the same but you can take your time suiting up. The body might be in a nice solid condition or falling apart like Jello out of a mold.

It's no picnic. There is no glory. You will most likely lose a lot of sleep and some dives might haunt you for a lifetime. Pay is rotten or non-existant.

For Rescue a big percentage of what you learned in the sport certification goes out the window. Like you can't plan a dive so there is no plan to dive. Most of the time you will be far from well rested. Being close to a lot of our water I have been in the water less than 10 minutes from getting up from a sound sleep. Safety stops don't exist as does a buddy most of the time. Plus lots more.

Best advise I can give you is get on the departments call out list and respond to dive scenes. Just stand back and watch. When that body comes up, fresh or not, see if they will let you handle it a little. If that freaks you out, remember it will be the two of you close and together in extreamly lousy conditions in an alien world.

I will not sugar coat anything when it comes to a new diver going into PSD work. It is much better to go in expecting the worst while hopeing for the best.

Surf around the entire PDS site. There is a lot of info showing up here.

Good luck and "DO NOT LEET PEER PRESSURE PUSH YOU INTO ANYTHING". And do not forget to DEBRIEF.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom