Searching for my first set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith_88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can't deny that I am a new diver, 16 dives so far, but I find myself at the point where I am looking to own my own equipment. I have the basics out of the way (mask, snorkel, fins), now the search is on for a BCD and reg setup. Looking for a computer as well, current front runner in my mind is the shearwater teric.

I have a some what unique situation in that I was certified on an Oxycheq wing and backplate setup in cold water here in Alberta. Then my last 12 dive where in Australia with your typical jacket style. The wing & backplate that I was trained I did not hate, but also did not love it, with more experience with it I think I would enjoy it. Will be getting some more experience with it as I plan on taking a drysuit course likely before I invest in my own gear. There is simplicity in the wing & backplate setup that I can replace virtually any piece I might ever damage down the road, and easy to upgrade. The jacket style while I never felt the squeeze some people talk about, I did find it a bit restrictive in terms of motion. I guess I was lucky and nailed my lead as I barely used the BC, 1 or 2 taps of the inflator, hence I did not notice the squeeze.

I know I do not want a jacket style and am currently debating between a wing & backplate like I was trained or a back inflated one like the Scubapro Hydros Pro. My future diving plans are local cold water diving in a drysuit for some fun and to gain more experience, diving when I travel in both warm and cold water.

Would appreciate any thoughts on a potential gear setup that would do good in cold water and still be able to travel with. Note when I say travel, 99% of time will be air travel, and realize my gear would probably need to be checked luggage.

I am also a new diver, and after a considerable amount of research and input from fellow divers, settled on a Halcyon Infinity BP/W and Shearwater Teric. There are lots of great BP’s out there to choose from. I am delighted with both of those choices. And I agree with runsongas — a weighted STA is helpful. My Halcyon has a 6lb tank weight that I find greatly assists with my overall trim in the water. I add 10 lbs weight belt for SoCal salt water diving and am set.

I dive in relatively cold Southern California waters, and have a custom-fit 7mm wetsuit that serves quite well. I am considering investing in a dry suit, but due to cost and complexity of options, I am not rushing into it.

The most important choice to make (IMHO) is your regulator. Have you given thought to that?

I am also a new diver, and after a considerable amount of research and input from fellow divers, settled on a Halcyon Infinity BP/W and Shearwater Teric. There are lots of great BP’s out there to choose from. I am delighted with both of those choices. And I agree with runsongas — a weighted STA is helpful. My Halcyon has a 6lb tank weight that I find greatly assists with my overall trim in the water. I add 10 lbs weight belt for SoCal salt water diving and am set.

I dive in relatively cold Southern California waters, and have a custom-fit 7mm wetsuit that serves quite well. I am considering investing in a dry suit, but due to cost and complexity of options, I am not rushing into it.

The most important choice to make (IMHO) is your regulator. Have you given thought to that?

Curious as to what classifies as cold water in Southern California?

Still doing my research on the regulators. Liking the Scubapro MK17 / MK25, and considering A700. Butt not rushing into a purchase yet, a few more months before I can even consider local diving.

Biggest thing I am trying to keep in mind is brands that my LDS can service, the list below is what the brands they service, so definitely not limited on choices
  • Aeris
  • Aropec
  • Aquatec
  • Hollis
  • Tusa
  • OTS FFM
  • Ocean Reef FFM
  • Oxycheq
  • Hog/Edge
  • Sherwood
  • Scubapro

Also consider Transpac XT wings are interchangeable and it can accommodate doubles. Not sure what the size limit on the double tanks are

Transpac XT | Dive Rite

Hmm ... I am going to politely disagree here and say that I believe your computer is the most important choice, because computers are very different from one to the next, and it is vital to know how to use it and read it properly. There is little difference in how to use one BC over another, and basically no difference in how to use use one regulator over another.

I would also recommend at least considering used gear. A lot of new divers get really excited about buying shiny new gear, which is understandable, but after 10 dives, the shine is gone and you can save a ton of money buying used gear.

Curious as to what classifies as cold water in Southern California?

Still doing my research on the regulators. Liking the Scubapro MK17 / MK25, and considering A700. Butt not rushing into a purchase yet, a few more months before I can even consider local diving.

Biggest thing I am trying to keep in mind is brands that my LDS can service, the list below is what the brands they service, so definitely not limited on choices
  • Aeris
  • Aropec
  • Aquatec
  • Hollis
  • Tusa
  • OTS FFM
  • Ocean Reef FFM
  • Oxycheq
  • Hog/Edge
  • Sherwood
  • Scubapro

Based on your list I would recommend regs from Hog/Edge...a great company that stands behind their product, is easy to get on the phone if you have any issues, and parts are available to the end user should you decide eventually to service them yourself.

-Z

Based on your list I would recommend regs from Hog/Edge...a great company that stands behind their product, is easy to get on the phone if you have any issues, and parts are available to the end user should you decide eventually to service them yourself.

-Z
I agree here. Hog makes excellent regs that are very user friendly and much less expensive than say ScubaPro or Atomic. And the fact that you can buy service kits for them and service them yourself speaks volumes.

As to the importance of a computer over a reg set....I have to disagree. Yes it's important to know how to use your computer, that's true. You don't want to dive it if you don't know how to work it. But truth be told more thought should go into your reg set dependent on what types of diving environments you're going to subject them to. If you're diving cold water, you want something sealed. Yes once you have it you pretty much just stick it in your mouth and breathe, but different regs breathe differently. A computer (at least in rec diving anyway) is more of a convenience than a necessity. You can absolutely make dives without one.

For me the most important piece of equipment I have that I would not trade for any other is the computer. Its a shearwater. I have a predator a petrel 1 and a 2. I prefer the petrels because of the battery's. I like the shearwater overall because of the intuitive menu system and LARGE 2 button operation... scroll and select. If you get a computer and you need the manual to use it then you have nothing but what is on the default display. I personally don't think that much of the teric. I have not used it but I prefer the larger screen I can read. I at one time thought AI was needed but I guess I have out grown that after so many xmitter failures over the years. If you go with sherawater go with a used one it will last forever and you can get them for about 500. If you get a preditor the only drawback is the battery and it runs on only one type of battery and you dont get it at walmart or wallgreens. still it is a fantastic computer. Get your BPW used. You do not outgrow a bpw like you do a jacket. you get skinny and you cut the straps or buy a strap set for 20$ in you gain 30 lbs or so. You will appreciate that especially when you go to a dry suit and the BCD doesnt fit. now its a 20$ fix adn not a 400$ replacement. Dry suits carry air diffferently for instance I have a tls 350 and it has a lot of lift. the wing for it has a lot of lift at the waist because of the weight belt needed to comp for the suit lift depending on the undies you wear. the wing has a lot of lift at the waist because of that. In a wet suit in warm water that wing dies not work and I USE A OXYCHEQ DOUNUT WING. then there is the doubles configuration if you go that way in the future.... The BPW is the way to go. Regulators you can find anywhere and probably there is not one that is really better than others. If you dive in cold water get the cold water reg. Fins for my self I have found that I only have one pair that can be used with or with out dry suit boots. I now only dive with dry suit boots. So the possibility exists that you may have to have 2 pair of fins. I use quatros fins and jet fins with the dry suit to keep my feet down. you may have to try then buy or call the manufacturer for the correct size depending on the boots you will wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom