• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Seaskin Nova drysuit review

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by stuartv, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I am just waiting on mine and Fedex slapped me with $298 Australian to get it through customs - so a bit worse than for you in the US.

2. vladodessit

vladodessit Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I am sure it is different down there but check what codes they used. I bet they charged you for clothing items, not water sport accessories.

3. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

I don't think they use codes, just if the value is over $1,000, they slap it with duty, GST and an entry fee based on the cost bracket.

Could be wrong.

4. laikabear

laikabear Barracuda

Got a similar bill as @vladodessit but he ordered more undergarments so mine was a total of $84.96. I tried a dispute and am waiting on the results. I gave the HTS code listed above. So it does seem arbitrary depending on with whom you speak (meaning I didn't get the insta-discount). I'm happy with $85 and will be happier if it's $50. :)

stuartv, vladodessit and RayfromTX like this.
  5. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

The clothing HS code IS the correct one to use, per the Customs ruling database. I’m a licensed customs broker.

Howl Yes and RayfromTX like this.
  6. Marie13

In the US, even if the value is under $2500 - which would make it an informal entry - you still have to use a HS code. The only thing an informal entry does is no bond is needed and it reduces the MPF to $2 and change. Plus the entry is liquidated at the time of entry, not 314 days later. Unless it’s from China and gets slapped with additional duty since it’s from China, in which case, you have to do a formal entry regardless of value.

Howl Yes likes this.
  7. Marie13

Are you a customs broker? The water sports HS code is not the correct one, regardless of what you think it should be. It’s called duty shopping. Just because you want lower duty, doesn’t mean you’ll get lower duty. Clothing duty rates are often pretty high.

Howl Yes likes this.
  8. Peter Slater

Peter Slater Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Marie is correct that the undersuit should be coded as clothing. You can wear it as clothing and that's all they care about because it is taxed the highest.

For my seaskin, I got hit with a huge bill because of that. It took some effort to argue with the broker service and explain that a portion was diving equipment and was able to get it free. In the end I payed about 7% of the total which was still a great deal on the drysuit.

I did a second smaller seaskin order that I made them ship FedEx with a note that said "sport diving equipment of man made materials". That package had no tariffs.

laikabear likes this.
  9. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

I am in Australia, so I am sure there's 10 reasons for paying more than you guys do, regardless of the Code :wink:

10. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    In Libya, if something comes with courier service, DHL, Aramex, etc., and weighs <50kg, it flies through customs no duty charged no matter how expensive it is.