Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just waiting on mine and Fedex slapped me with $298 Australian to get it through customs - so a bit worse than for you in the US.

I am just waiting on mine and Fedex slapped me with $298 Australian to get it through customs - so a bit worse than for you in the US.
I am sure it is different down there but check what codes they used. I bet they charged you for clothing items, not water sport accessories.

I am sure it is different down there but check what codes they used. I bet they charged you for clothing items, not water sport accessories.

I don't think they use codes, just if the value is over $1,000, they slap it with duty, GST and an entry fee based on the cost bracket.

Could be wrong.

Just got my Nova. I like it so far. Heads up on customs fees: FedEx sent me a bill for $101 for clearing customs. My initial reaction was "not terrible". Suit itself was charged at 4% for "Rubber clothing or accessory" Code 4013.90.0050, Undergarment was charged at 28% per code 6103.33.2000 "Men's or boy's Blazer or Sweater with 28% wool or less". I called FedEx at (866)728-8587, option 3. Explained the situation. I stated that 4% for suit was acceptable but 28% wasn't as it is not a clothing item but sporting accessory. She asked me if I knew the code that should be charged. I didn't. She asked me what I thought was the right rate. I said that probably 4% and I want to file a dispute. She told me she didn't want to file a dispute over $46 and she'd just give me a credit for that amount. I paid about $50.

After further research, however, I believe that the correct HTS code should be 9506.29.0080
"Water-sport Equipment, Parts And Accessories, Others" and be duty free.

Got a similar bill as @vladodessit but he ordered more undergarments so mine was a total of $84.96. I tried a dispute and am waiting on the results. I gave the HTS code listed above. So it does seem arbitrary depending on with whom you speak (meaning I didn't get the insta-discount). I'm happy with $85 and will be happier if it's $50. :)

I don't think they use codes, just if the value is over $1,000, they slap it with duty, GST and an entry fee based on the cost bracket.

Could be wrong.

In the US, even if the value is under $2500 - which would make it an informal entry - you still have to use a HS code. The only thing an informal entry does is no bond is needed and it reduces the MPF to $2 and change. Plus the entry is liquidated at the time of entry, not 314 days later. Unless it’s from China and gets slapped with additional duty since it’s from China, in which case, you have to do a formal entry regardless of value.

Just got my Nova. I like it so far. Heads up on customs fees: FedEx sent me a bill for $101 for clearing customs. My initial reaction was "not terrible". Suit itself was charged at 4% for "Rubber clothing or accessory" Code 4013.90.0050, Undergarment was charged at 28% per code 6103.33.2000 "Men's or boy's Blazer or Sweater with 28% wool or less". I called FedEx at (866)728-8587, option 3. Explained the situation. I stated that 4% for suit was acceptable but 28% wasn't as it is not a clothing item but sporting accessory. She asked me if I knew the code that should be charged. I didn't. She asked me what I thought was the right rate. I said that probably 4% and I want to file a dispute. She told me she didn't want to file a dispute over $46 and she'd just give me a credit for that amount. I paid about $50.

After further research, however, I believe that the correct HTS code should be 9506.29.0080
"Water-sport Equipment, Parts And Accessories, Others" and be duty free.

Are you a customs broker? The water sports HS code is not the correct one, regardless of what you think it should be. It’s called duty shopping. Just because you want lower duty, doesn’t mean you’ll get lower duty. Clothing duty rates are often pretty high.

Are you a customs broker? The water sports HS code is not the correct one, regardless of what you think it should be. It’s called duty shopping. Just because you want lower duty, doesn’t mean you’ll get lower duty. Clothing duty rates are often pretty high.

Marie is correct that the undersuit should be coded as clothing. You can wear it as clothing and that's all they care about because it is taxed the highest.

For my seaskin, I got hit with a huge bill because of that. It took some effort to argue with the broker service and explain that a portion was diving equipment and was able to get it free. In the end I payed about 7% of the total which was still a great deal on the drysuit.

I did a second smaller seaskin order that I made them ship FedEx with a note that said "sport diving equipment of man made materials". That package had no tariffs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom