Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR valve means its moved a bit lower and to the outside. I want the patch under the inflation valve because when diving with very little undergarment i.e. in egypt in a t shirt inflating can be really cold and when the suit squeezes a bit uncomfortable. It costs next to nothing so why not
Why wouldnt you take the reinforcements?

Stuart with you having the suit what do you think? Should i wait till ive slimmed down a bit or should i order it now?
I guess since all the "excess fabric" wil be around my midsection where its held down by the bc i wont have a problem with a suit thats a bit bigger. And ill always be able to dive it even if i get a bit big again .

One important question i stil have is shoe size. Ill definitely get shoes are they rather large or rather small. I have a 44-45 EU size in most of my shoes you think the same size will fit me in those? Or are they cut super small/large?

DIR valve means its moved a bit lower and to the outside. I want the patch under the inflation valve because when diving with very little undergarment i.e. in egypt in a t shirt inflating can be really cold and when the suit squeezes a bit uncomfortable. It costs next to nothing so why not
I wouldn’t want the dump to the outside any but if lower it seems a moot point, I’ve never felt air on inflate but the patch does no harm, I’ve used my suit a lot without any reinforcements and see no additional wear, they even say these seem unnecessary but provide them for people who do.

OK since youve all been so helpful ill just tell you what im going to order for some feedback:

Your selection is very close to my suit.

+sitech oval cuff (ill be 100% using drygloves in cold water so no neopren over cuffs needed right?)

Exactly. You want something like Ultima rings or prehaps the new 4th element oval rings to use with your gloves.

+dump valve DIR
+Inflation valve patch

DIR dump valve position definitely. I have never used any inflation valve patch and never thought it would be necessary.

+kevlar knee pads
+pu crutch
+pu shoulders
+(pu elbows? cant think of a time when i last used my elbows/bumped them)

The laminate itself is strong, very similar to one used in Ursuit doftdura, maybe even a grade thicker. If in doubt, do not add PU reinforcements.
I opted for bum, crutch, elbows and kevlar knee pads. Shoulders do not usually have extra reinforcements in drysuits and last fairly well, despite carrying your gear with harness. Seaskin recommends against PU paddings and they are probably right. Anyway take at least the knee pads. Most wear to drysuit happes on surface, not diving. That is why I took bum and elbow pads as those areas do wear when diving from small boats.

+fully telescopic torso
+wide braces

Both are definitely good choices.

+2 normale pockets (i like that they can lie completely flat and i dont have to much gear i use so size wise i think theyll be sufficient)

I opted for bellows pockets for simplicity. They are not huge. If you carry a spare mask, safety spool and a small SMB in the pockets get the bellows. Especially if you want to access them with your drygloves. I might even choose the expedition pockets now.

+2 computer strap patches

If in doubt, choose the simplest option :)

One important question i stil have is shoe size. Ill definitely get shoes are they rather large or rather small. I have a 44-45 EU size in most of my shoes you think the same size will fit me in those? Or are they cut super small/large?

My sneakers are usually 46 or 47. I took the 45/46 standard boot and it is perfect. I'd say the boot size is very close to standard if there is any standard. I wear thick double socks and the boots fit great with just enough room.

I guess since all the "excess fabric" wil be around my midsection where its held down by the bc i wont have a problem with a suit thats a bit bigger. And ill always be able to dive it even if i get a bit big again .

With telescopic torso there is always quite a lot of loose fabric around your midsection. You probably could not notice much difference.

Stuart with you having the suit what do you think? Should i wait till ive slimmed down a bit or should i order it now?

I would take the measurements and order now. I think losing 10kg of weight is not going to make the suit feel too big.

I have no input on the shoe size. I ordered attached socks, which I generally prefer to attached boots. That said, at this point I would be inclined to trust Seaskin and select the boot size you know you wear. The choice in their dropdown for shoe size is 44/45, so your choice is easy.

A couple of very good divers I know got Seaskins recently. They both got the DIR valve placement and really like it. Based on what they have said about it, I think I will get the DIR placement on my next suit - whenever that happens someday. Standard placement works. It sounds like DIR placement works even better - for venting the suit while staying in trim (or close to it).

I agree on the patch. Exactly. It's very inexpensive, so why not?

I only got Kevlar knee pads (for a little padding when kneeling down while on the surface, more than anything), elbows, and shoulders. Looking at it now, a year after receiving it, I would get the Kevlar knees again (with a request to leave off the yellow stitching that says "Kevlar") and not bother with the shoulder reinforcement. Elbows, maybe or maybe not. At 7 GBP, I would probably get them again as there seems like no downside other than the small cost.

Also, I have ZERO regrets on getting the zippered pockets. My other drysuit has pockets with a velcro flap. I definitely prefer the zippered pockets. But, they are not as big as the biggest velcro flap option, so if you want bigger, the zippered pockets may not be the best choice.

Also, I have ZERO regrets on getting the zippered pockets. My other drysuit has pockets with a velcro flap. I definitely prefer the zippered pockets. But, they are not as big as the biggest velcro flap option, so if you want bigger, the zippered pockets may not be the best choice.

I was thinking of getting the regular pocket since when nothings in it it lies completely flat. That seems quite neat since ive also used dryuits for snorkeling/scouting i.e. in norway so less drag is nice when you dont nee anything. Im a bit careful with zippered pockets since the can always fail and prevent you from getting to your gear lets say an smd. plus i guess with thick undergloves and drygloves a velcro patch is easier to open.

I let them send me some fabric samples so im aware that the fabric is quite durable even a quite sharp bread knife didnt really do much damage :D. But for the price of the reinforcements im not sure why i wouldnt take them. they say that they hinder movement slightly, would you say thats true? If not ill probably get them.

If in doubt, choose the simplest option :)
Not really doubting :D i know that they tend to slip around.. maybe its not that bad with cuff rings but id like to be on the safe side an not have to sinch down my compass and computer like crazy :D

I was thinking of getting the regular pocket since when nothings in it it lies completely flat. That seems quite neat since ive also used dryuits for snorkeling/scouting i.e. in norway so less drag is nice when you dont nee anything. Im a bit careful with zippered pockets since the can always fail and prevent you from getting to your gear lets say an smd. plus i guess with thick undergloves and drygloves a velcro patch is easier to open.

I let them send me some fabric samples so im aware that the fabric is quite durable even a quite sharp bread knife didnt really do much damage :D. But for the price of the reinforcements im not sure why i wouldnt take them. they say that they hinder movement slightly, would you say thats true? If not ill probably get them.

I suppose it's a fair point that a zipper COULD fail and stick closed. But, as for being easier, that's why I prefer the zipper. I put some thick bungee through one pull on each side, tied with a double overhand knot. Grabbing the knot of bungee and using that to pull the zipper open has been working extremely well for me, making it very easy to open the pockets.

And once a zippered pocket is open, it's open. There is nothing getting in the way of me reaching in and getting stuff out of my pocket. My biggest annoyance with velcro pockets is the way the velcro tends to grab stuff when the pocket is open and how the flap can float around and often ends up getting in my way after I've pulled it open and am trying to reach into my pocket.

Obviously, flap pockets are okay. LOTS of people use them successfully. I just happen to like the zippered pockets better.

I only got the previously mentioned reinforcements, so I can't really say if others would hinder movement. I only have 1 Seaskin suit, so I can't even REALLY say whether the reinforcements I got have any effect as I don't have a similar suit without the reinforcements to compare it to.

Back
Top Bottom