Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, the Rolock appears mechanically solid provided it is not used without dry gloves. I can understand why you place the Kubis above it, but why do you class it with the Sitechs and not up with the Ultima? Those two appear comparable in quality and solidity of mechanism. What am I not seeing?

This is just my opinion, not having seen the Rolock in person - only watching the video that @divezonescuba posted in another. The Rolocks are of the type that go together and twist to lock. I don't like that for a variety of reason.

Something gets in there and you can't twist them far enough.

Something happens and you can't untwist them to take them off.

The O-ring that seals them works by being directly compressed as you twist the rings to tighten them up. The O-ring on Kubi and Ultima is compressed in a different way. I apologize, but I cannot think of the correct engineering terms right now to describe the difference in the way the O-ring is compressed to form the seal. But, I think the way Kubi/Ultima works to form the seal is better. Just my opinion. DISCLAIMER: That is how it appeared in the video, but I could be wrong about this part.

The Kubis are machined aluminum and they are very low bulk.

The Rolocks are one size fits all, so they are going to be bigger/bulkier than necessary for most people.

Kubi and Ultima work. I mean, they just work. And they work by a simple press together seal. No twist lock deal. Simpler. Easier to don/doff. Proven reliable. More complicated, when the simpler system is proven reliable, is not good (in my opinion).

Kubi and Ultima are very similar in design, which is why I classify them together. Rolock is more similar in design to the different Si Tech systems.

If I were buying all new, the only other system I would want to look at, before buying more Kubi, is the ScubaForce (? IIRC) Thenar system. That system looks like Kubi, but with a ring shape that is more like a hand, and not round. But, I have never seen them in person and for all I know, the Thenar rings could be a good idea and a sh!t implementation or not even available.

Also, I think the Rolock video made some allusion to not being able to have wrist seals and use dry gloves at the same time? That would be another reason it would e right off my list of options. With Kubi, you can have wrist seals installed or not, and still attach your dry gloves. So, if you rip your glove, only your hand floods. And, if you want to use your drysuit in warmer water and don't need dry gloves, you don't have to use them.

I got my seaskin last september with the rolock system, also after much consideration (but it still was some sort of impulse).

As a student I have a limited budget, but on the other hand I wanted it done proper so I don’t need to update soon. This meant that I was aiming for the ultima system. But when I was filling the cart for the final time I saw the rolocks. Did some research (not a lot to be found) and went for them. One of the reasons was that with the rolock everything came from seaskin.

During installation I hated them (mostly myself) because I tried them without lube. Almost impossible to undo. So you need lube! But as I understood this is also the case for kubi’s. After that it’s as simple as one can wish. Donning and doffing is smooth and easy. The twist makes it that your fingers are always aligned. Rolocks are one size fits all but they are not that bulky.

I dove them once in the pool without the gloves, and the exposed oring is a pita. But hey, I have a 3d printer so I can print a protector (still have to do it). Another plus for the rolock (in my opinion) is that they use the si system. So if you don’t like them you can easily swap to utlima, antares, 4th element elipse, virgo, etc. This also means that you can still use rolocks with (or without) wrist seals.

so choose what makes you feel comfortable and what is within your budget.

Just came to mind; I don’t like the neo socks. They are too big and I don’t like the hassle of separate shoes. Seaskins tech boots look good (weren’t available back then). Does anyone have experience with them (or other flexible sole boots)?

Any opinions on warm neck standard vs simple for people with large adam's apples? I tend to always feel choked by wetsuits/hooded vests.

Any opinions on warm neck standard vs simple for people with large adam's apples? I tend to always feel choked by wetsuits/hooded vests.
which kind of seals are you using?

I feel like the simple warm neck really only comes to the base of my neck. It doesn't go up the neck to where it would interfere with anyone's Adam's apple, I don't think. I suspect the standard is the same.

I got my seaskin last september with the rolock system, also after much consideration (but it still was some sort of impulse).

As a student I have a limited budget, but on the other hand I wanted it done proper so I don’t need to update soon. This meant that I was aiming for the ultima system. But when I was filling the cart for the final time I saw the rolocks. Did some research (not a lot to be found) and went for them. One of the reasons was that with the rolock everything came from seaskin.

During installation I hated them (mostly myself) because I tried them without lube. Almost impossible to undo. So you need lube! But as I understood this is also the case for kubi’s. After that it’s as simple as one can wish. Donning and doffing is smooth and easy. The twist makes it that your fingers are always aligned. Rolocks are one size fits all but they are not that bulky.

I dove them once in the pool without the gloves, and the exposed oring is a pita. But hey, I have a 3d printer so I can print a protector (still have to do it). Another plus for the rolock (in my opinion) is that they use the si system. So if you don’t like them you can easily swap to utlima, antares, 4th element elipse, virgo, etc. This also means that you can still use rolocks with (or without) wrist seals.

so choose what makes you feel comfortable and what is within your budget.
If you do create protectors please post the file.

Having an exposed O-ring when the gloves are not attached is also one of the reasons I rate the Ultima lower than the Kubi.

With Kubi, the glove side of the connection is the male side, so the O-ring that makes the seal is on the glove side. No dry gloves attached means no O-ring exposed to getting damaged.

With Ultima (and, apparently, Rolock), the male side is on the suit, so the sealing O-ring could get damaged if you don't have the gloves installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom