Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has been super helpful as I prepare to order my Nova suit but I'm still debating a couple of things that I haven't been able to find much info on:

1. SiTech valves vs. Apeks high profile - I don't really want a high profile valve but the low-profile Apeks seems to be very error prone. Are the SiTech valves worthwhile or should I just deal with the high-profile Apeks. Also, if I select SiTech valves, do both the inflator and dump valve get changed? Seaskin lists the SiTech valve as having an international nipple type. Is this the same as my wing inflator (a push collar)? Is there any advantage to having the same inflator hose for both wing and drysuit?

2. Tech boots vs. rock boots - advantages/disadvantages of each? I do mostly shore diving and the rock boots seem more durable if I've got a long walk to the water but will they give too much ankle support and make it harder to frog kick? With tech boots, if I get a puncture in the boot it seems like the whole boot has to be replaced with sounds expensive.

Is there any advantage to having the same inflator hose for both wing and drysuit?

I personally prefer to have all fittings the same on all my rigs. Makes it much simpler to swap out hoses pre-dive if needed, or even in water swapping inflation sources if needed. One less hose to carry in the save-a-dive kit.

Tech boots vs. rock boots - advantages/disadvantages of each?

I went with the neoprene socks because I like to turn the suit inside out for cleaning and drying, also folds away smaller. I wear a standard (oversized) dive bootie over them to protect. Unintended benefit, when I used a very thin bootie (Poseidon One Shoe) it turned out that I could use my regular fins without having to go up a size like most folks need to with a drysuit boot.

1. SiTech valves vs. Apeks high profile - I don't really want a high profile valve but the low-profile Apeks seems to be very error prone. Are the SiTech valves worthwhile or should I just deal with the high-profile Apeks. Also, if I select SiTech valves, do both the inflator and dump valve get changed? Seaskin lists the SiTech valve as having an international nipple type. Is this the same as my wing inflator (a push collar)? Is there any advantage to having the same inflator hose for both wing and drysuit?

I have the SI-tech "high profile" valve. I put it in quotes because it really isn't that high profile at all. And honestly when in dry gloves and reaching for it blind its the right size for grabbing on to, I don't think I would want it smaller.

2. Tech boots vs. rock boots - advantages/disadvantages of each? I do mostly shore diving and the rock boots seem more durable if I've got a long walk to the water but will they give too much ankle support and make it harder to frog kick? With tech boots, if I get a puncture in the boot it seems like the whole boot has to be replaced with sounds expensive.

I have neoprene socks on my suit, I prefer that because when I have dived a suit with attached boots I felt it was more prone to trap air down there and my fins didnt feel as secure. Also I feel with neoprene socks and then a separate boot over that you're really minimizing chances of damage to the suit on the feet when walking to/from dive site. With an attached boot, like you said, you'd be replacing the entire boot.

This thread has been super helpful as I prepare to order my Nova suit but I'm still debating a couple of things that I haven't been able to find much info on:

1) Yes, if you use the standard ordering option on their site to change valves from Apeks to Si Tech, that will change the inflator and the dump.

Whether the drysuit inflator hose that comes with the suit will fit your wing inflator (or vice versa) depends on your wing's power inflator. I *think* for the really common power inflator nipple (on a wing), the Si Tech suit inflator hose will work. That is what I have, but I have never tried it.

I *think* the difference between the 2 drysuit inflator nipples is that the Apeks one, by default, has a hose that will just push on without having to hold the collar on the hose pulled back. With the Si Tech inflator, it is the same as a BCD inflator - you have to pull the collar back on the hose and hold it back as you attach it to the valve's nipple. I think the Apeks one is a tiny bit more convenient. But, not enough to make me choose Apeks valves.

2) They did not have the Tech boots when I ordered either of my suits. If they had, I still would have gotten neo socks on my trilam. I got the rock boots on my neo suit, just for the convenience of not having to remember to take overboots and not having to don overboots after donning the suit. If they had had tech boots, I would have gotten those for the - presumed(!) - better ankle flexibility. But, I don't have any regular diving where I'm walking long distances over rocky areas.... In either case, if you get a puncture, you can probably repair it yourself. I think neoprene is generally pretty easy to work with, though it may not be very pretty afterwards...

My Nova finally arrived yesterday!

Won't have a chance to dive it until next weekend though - I'm avoid the local beaches leading up to the 4th. First impressions are good! It does fit a little baggier than I was expecting, but I also didn't try it with the undergarment yet. Quality seems solid. Only complaint is that my god, does it smell! I'm expecting it to offgas in a couple days, based on some other's experience.

I'll be sure to report back after next weekend with first in-water impressions!

My Nova finally arrived yesterday!

Won't have a chance to dive it until next weekend though - I'm avoid the local beaches leading up to the 4th. First impressions are good! It does fit a little baggier than I was expecting, but I also didn't try it with the undergarment yet. Quality seems solid. Only complaint is that my god, does it smell! I'm expecting it to offgas in a couple days, based on some other's experience.

I'll be sure to report back after next weekend with first in-water impressions!

Congrats!

Be sure and talc the inside of it. They have a video about that if you look around for it. I can't remember if it's on their site or on YouTube, by them. I think both, but can't remember for sure.

Also, lube the zipper! I assumed mine came lubed from the factory, so I dived it for months without lubing it (my bad!). When I finally thought "oh, that is probably due for some lube" it was HUGELY easier to zip/unzip than it ever had been.

Congrats!

Be sure and talc the inside of it. They have a video about that if you look around for it. I can't remember if it's on their site or on YouTube, by them. I think both, but can't remember for sure.

Also, lube the zipper! I assumed mine came lubed from the factory, so I dived it for months without lubing it (my bad!). When I finally thought "oh, that is probably due for some lube" it was HUGELY easier to zip/unzip than it ever had been.

You know, I thought the zipper was a bit stiff! I wrote it off as my first time using a plastic zip instead of metal. I'll be sure to give it a good lube before next weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom