Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually had no idea it was just us... So other countries have comparible sales?

Black Friday is the day after American Thanksgiving. While other countries probably have their own holiday sales, Black Friday is a uniquely American tradition.

And as was already posted, someone said he’s never seen these go on special and they’re already inexpensive enough, as is.

I tried to bargain with Seaskin for 2 suits order without success

"Thanks for interest in our seaskin drysuits. We do not offer any further discounts from the prices that are on our website. We like to think that we give the best possible price we can to everyone all of the time. I hope you will find that they do represent great valve without compromising on quality. As all are suits are made to an individual spec and size we get no saving of “mass production”"

Aside from Canada, no other country has a “black friday” or something similar.

Well, in fairness Black Friday has started to spread around the world in the past few years. I recall last year that Amazon was doing Black Friday sales in Europe and European retailers were starting to do the same. But that's just what I saw on the news, and it certainly doesn't have the influence that it does in the US and Canada. I would be shocked to see Seaskin have Black Friday sales anytime soon.

Aside, doesn't it figure that of the Thanksgiving/Black Friday holidays, it's the one about sales that starts spreading around the world? I mean, I know other countries have their own harvest festivals and days to be thankful for what one has, but still... but that's humans for you, so oh well.

Black Friday is a US thing. Seaskin is in the UK.

To be fair, we've adopted it quite a bit in recent years, especially online.

But Seaskin did post on their Facebook that they don't do it. Post is a few years old but only about 5 posts down because they post pretty rarely. Seaskin drysuits

For those who’ve posted some questions wondering about when duty kicks in on imports to the US, I just came across this yesterday at work while clearing a low value shipment.

Section 321 entries (no duty assessed) are $800 or less. It used to be $200, but it was increased in 2016. It also must be one shipment, not one of several different lots covered by a single order. AKA no trying to split it up to avoid duties.

Just got my shipping email notification about a week early. Don’t think I’ll be able to dive it before leaving for Coz but really looking forward to trying it out once I get back!

For those who’ve posted some questions wondering about when duty kicks in on imports to the US, I just came across this yesterday at work while clearing a low value shipment.

Section 321 entries (no duty assessed) are $800 or less. It used to be $200, but it was increased in 2016. It also must be one shipment, not one of several different lots covered by a single order. AKA no trying to split it up to avoid duties.

Wow, this is important info!

This would mean that if one plans to buy a drysuit and an undergarment, it would behoove them to make it 2 separate orders (would a week apart be sufficient?). The drysuit is assessed at a much lower percentage duty rate than the undergarment. When buying together, you'll have to pay duty on the undergarment, too. But if you buy separately, the undergarment will fly under that $800 limit and have no duty.

What a pain in the ass.

I paid £112 for the undergarment and £749 for the drysuit), shipping £103 (at today's exchange rate that's $146 and $975, but I forget what it was back then).
FedEx charged me $85: $40 for the undergarment and $37 for the drysuit itself, and $7 for some Fedex fee.

Splitting that into 2 orders would have saved me $40. Definitely would be worth it.

After I bought that larger order, later I decided I had to have the 150g undersuit too, and when I ordered that separately, I didn't have to pay duty on it at all. Sometimes the FedEx bill comes a few weeks later so I kept looking for it for awhile.

Wow, this is important info!

This would mean that if one plans to buy a drysuit and an undergarment, it would behoove them to make it 2 separate orders (would a week apart be sufficient?). The drysuit is assessed at a much lower percentage duty rate than the undergarment. When buying together, you'll have to pay duty on the undergarment, too. But if you buy separately, the undergarment will fly under that $800 limit and have no duty.

What a pain in the ass.

I paid £112 for the undergarment and £749 for the drysuit), shipping £103 (at today's exchange rate that's $146 and $975, but I forget what it was back then).
FedEx charged me $85: $40 for the undergarment and $37 for the drysuit itself, and $7 for some Fedex fee.

Splitting that into 2 orders would have saved me $40. Definitely would be worth it.

After I bought that larger order, later I decided I had to have the 150g undersuit too, and when I ordered that separately, I didn't have to pay duty on it at all. Sometimes the FedEx bill comes a few weeks later so I kept looking for it for awhile.

I believe the splitting up CBP refers to is shipping different parts of the same order separately in order to attempt to avoid duties.

You want to do separate orders? That’s on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom