Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did mine with the back of a fork working around. The back of a plastic takeaway knife would probably work as well till the proper tool arrives.

Thanks to everyone sharing their information in this thread! This has been a great resource. I’ve been diving in San Diego with a 7mm wetsuit and the water is getting colder as we get closer to winter. I haven’t actually gotten cold enough to call the dive or sit out a second dive, but I would certainly be more comfortable and enjoy myself if I was warmer. I’ve started to think more about getting a drysuit, and while it might not come in time for this season, I’ll be moving to the Bay Area next July and it would be nice to have over there.

I’ll probably want the Nova because I want to have just one suit that is future-proof and versatile for a wide range of temperatures, lighter for travel, and with a front-zip. For reference, I am about 5’ 6” and 150 lbs. Here’s what I’m thinking in terms of the options:

Step 1: All black
Step 2: Main Body Dry Zip Cover, YKK Plastic Dry Zip, Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve
Step 3: Quick Neck with SilFlex Seal, Warm Neck Standard, Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff System, Supplement for Siflex Seals with Kubi
Step 4: DIR Dump, SiTech Valve System, Comfort Patch
Step 5: Compressed Neoprene Socks
Step 6: Kelvar Knee Pads
Step 7: Fully Telescopic Torso, Change Mat Bag Upgrade, No Logos, No Reflective Tape
Step 8: Bellows Pocket on both legs, Computer Straps Patches on both arms

I’ll probably also pick up the 250g undergarments with the hole for P-valve, the shorty undersuit, socks, the base layers, the warm neck hood, and the dry glove side of the Kubi system.

Couple of questions/discussion points for the hive mind:

-The main body dry zip cover seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it’s just adding unnecessary bulk to the suit. What do you guys think?
-SiTech Trigon Pee Valve or the Light Monkey Tinkle Valve?
-Would I want neoprene covers for the Kubis? Seems like most people in this thread aren’t getting it
-I did go with kelvar knee pads since it seems like a place that would get more wear and tear, especially in more challenging shore entry/exit conditions. However, I’m leaning towards not getting reinforcement elsewhere since I heard the base material is fairly stiff as it is
- Is the reflective tape on the suit actually useful? I feel the suit would probably look nicer without logos or the tape
- I would like to keep a 6’ DSMB attached to a 100’ spool in one of the pockets – are the standard bellows pockets going to be big enough? Since I’m on the shorter side, I am trying to avoid the larger pockets.
-I would like to potentially be able to take the GUE Fundamentals class in this drysuit for my skills development – is this configuration “DIR-approved”?

Any other feedback or advice is also appreciated. Thanks a lot!
I can't really answer any of your questions, but your selection is virtually the same as what I ordered and am waiting on. The reflective tape, maybe I can help with... it is reflective when lit up. If you want to show up in the beam of a flashlight, it is good. If you don't want to reflect camera lights in photos and video, it's bad. Entirely up to you.
And I didn't get the Kubi seal covers because I don't see the point unless you are shoving your wrist into a high-sediment situation.

-The main body dry zip cover seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it’s just adding unnecessary bulk to the suit. What do you guys think?
Most of drysuits on the market got this feature - it doesn't add bulk

Have no experience with Trigon though, but duck bill check-valve on Tinkle is prone to leak
It's better to order unbalanced p-valve. See no reasons for dealing with balanced ones.

-Would I want neoprene covers for the Kubis? Seems like most people in this thread aren’t getting it
no comment

-I did go with kelvar knee pads since it seems like a place that would get more wear and tear, especially in more challenging shore entry/exit conditions. However, I’m leaning towards not getting reinforcement elsewhere since I heard the base material is fairly stiff as it is
I would add elbow pads and crotch reinforcements

- Is the reflective tape on the suit actually useful? I feel the suit would probably look nicer without logos or the tape
It is useful for cave and night dives. But as Bierstadt mentioned above - reflective tape has and drawback

- I would like to keep a 6’ DSMB attached to a 100’ spool in one of the pockets – are the standard bellows pockets going to be big enough? Since I’m on the shorter side, I am trying to avoid the larger pockets.
I wouldn't avoid larger pockets. As you look towards GUE, check this video on the pockets content.
I wish even Expedition pockets were more roomy.

-I would like to potentially be able to take the GUE Fundamentals class in this drysuit for my skills development – is this configuration “DIR-approved”?
Nothing is wrong with the Seaskin Nova

update:

This has been a very interesting and enlightening discussion. I have been looking for my next drysuit (I’m on #4, a 4th Element Kevlar) and came across this thread. I need a custom suit as standard suit sizes just don’t fit well for someone short like me (Standard sizes assume if you need a short then you are thin as a rail, I’m not that skinny nor am I fat). However all the big names are asking an arm and a leg for custom suits now. So tonight I put in my order for a new Trilam suit. Got most of the options that I like including the LM pee valve and Kubi dry gloves (they are the closest things to the old Diving Concepts dry glove system which were my personal favorite, I installed those on a DUI and 4th Element suits). Now just have to wait to hear when it is expected to ship.
In the meantime I’ll continue to dive my very damp 4th Element and DUI TLS suits. Looking forward to being fully dry again for dives!

Thanks to everyone sharing their information in this thread! This has been a great resource. I’ve been diving in San Diego with a 7mm wetsuit and the water is getting colder as we get closer to winter. I haven’t actually gotten cold enough to call the dive or sit out a second dive, but I would certainly be more comfortable and enjoy myself if I was warmer. I’ve started to think more about getting a drysuit, and while it might not come in time for this season, I’ll be moving to the Bay Area next July and it would be nice to have over there.

I’ll probably want the Nova because I want to have just one suit that is future-proof and versatile for a wide range of temperatures, lighter for travel, and with a front-zip. For reference, I am about 5’ 6” and 150 lbs. Here’s what I’m thinking in terms of the options:

Step 1: All black
Step 2: Main Body Dry Zip Cover, YKK Plastic Dry Zip, Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve
Step 3: Quick Neck with SilFlex Seal, Warm Neck Standard, Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff System, Supplement for Siflex Seals with Kubi
Step 4: DIR Dump, SiTech Valve System, Comfort Patch
Step 5: Compressed Neoprene Socks
Step 6: Kelvar Knee Pads
Step 7: Fully Telescopic Torso, Change Mat Bag Upgrade, No Logos, No Reflective Tape
Step 8: Bellows Pocket on both legs, Computer Straps Patches on both arms

I’ll probably also pick up the 250g undergarments with the hole for P-valve, the shorty undersuit, socks, the base layers, the warm neck hood, and the dry glove side of the Kubi system.

Any other feedback or advice is also appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I took Fundies in a wetsuit but recently did the GUE Drysuit Primer in a Seaskin very similar to the one you're thinking about.

Regarding the zip cover, go for it. In my drysuit primer it seemed like a pretty standard feature and I'm hoping it will delay the need to replace the zipper, which I hear is pretty common.

I got the Light Monkey Tinkle Valve and I have no complaints but it's the only one I've ever used, so I have no idea how it compares to others.

The KUBI neoprene covers are a new thing they added since I ordered mine in July. I don't see the need for them and from the pictures it looks like they might get in the way of dry gloves. I don't think the machined aluminum KUBI rings will benefit much from a layer of neoprene.

I got the knee pads, shoulder pads and crotch pads. I know the knee pad is the most common recommendation but I have yet to use those. I'm glad I got the crotch and shoulder ones though because that's where the harness wears on the suit. The material is pretty sturdy so maybe none of them are necessary but I haven't had it long enough to know.

I got no logos and no reflective tape. Even with those options selected, the velcro strap on the boots still has a small logo but overall I like the clean look. No idea if the reflective tape is useful but my buddies haven't had any issues finding me on night dives.

I got the Expedition pockets and I love them. A buddy of mine told me not to skimp on pocket space and I can fit wet notes, SMB and spool and my backup mask in 1 pocket. I guess the downside of them being too big is extra drag but that seems like a non-issue right now and having the extra space is a big bonus.

As far as being 'DIR approved' I had no issues with it and don't expect any in future classes. If there were any specific requirements they'd be listed in the GUE standards, Appendix A at this link: https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.1-Amended.pdf
I briefly glanced at it and the only relevant requirement I saw was "Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure"

I hope that's helpful for you. I'm in LA and there's a few San Diego divers who come up sometimes. They've also got a local Facebook group (SDUE - San Diego Underwater Explorers) if you haven't joined already. DM me if I can help with anything else.

Afternoon,
I live about 10 miles from Seaskin. We are indeed on lockdown and have imposed limited space at work places, so most are operating on reduced capacity. When the national lockdown ends on 2nd December we go to Tier 3 restrictions, so still moderately severe limitations too.
Rich

So fixed the neck seal and 4 excellent dives in the new suit. Extremely happy!

I took Fundies in a wetsuit but recently did the GUE Drysuit Primer in a Seaskin very similar to the one you're thinking about.

Regarding the zip cover, go for it. In my drysuit primer it seemed like a pretty standard feature and I'm hoping it will delay the need to replace the zipper, which I hear is pretty common.

I got the Light Monkey Tinkle Valve and I have no complaints but it's the only one I've ever used, so I have no idea how it compares to others.

The KUBI neoprene covers are a new thing they added since I ordered mine in July. I don't see the need for them and from the pictures it looks like they might get in the way of dry gloves. I don't think the machined aluminum KUBI rings will benefit much from a layer of neoprene.

I got the knee pads, shoulder pads and crotch pads. I know the knee pad is the most common recommendation but I have yet to use those. I'm glad I got the crotch and shoulder ones though because that's where the harness wears on the suit. The material is pretty sturdy so maybe none of them are necessary but I haven't had it long enough to know.

I got no logos and no reflective tape. Even with those options selected, the velcro strap on the boots still has a small logo but overall I like the clean look. No idea if the reflective tape is useful but my buddies haven't had any issues finding me on night dives.

I got the Expedition pockets and I love them. A buddy of mine told me not to skimp on pocket space and I can fit wet notes, SMB and spool and my backup mask in 1 pocket. I guess the downside of them being too big is extra drag but that seems like a non-issue right now and having the extra space is a big bonus.

As far as being 'DIR approved' I had no issues with it and don't expect any in future classes. If there were any specific requirements they'd be listed in the GUE standards, Appendix A at this link: https://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v9.1-Amended.pdf
I briefly glanced at it and the only relevant requirement I saw was "Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure"

I hope that's helpful for you. I'm in LA and there's a few San Diego divers who come up sometimes. They've also got a local Facebook group (SDUE - San Diego Underwater Explorers) if you haven't joined already. DM me if I can help with anything else.

So I have the neoprene covers. When I've been using the Kubi gloves I roll them up/out of the way. But I keep them down to protect the rings or if I was diving with wet gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom