Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my suit earlier than expected, my completion date originally was Feb 19th so its about 4 weeks early. I did not get any undergarments as I will continue to use my 4th Element Artics. There was no extra duty or tariff costs so that was a pleasant surprise.

First test fit of the suit with my undergarments on. Initial impressions is that it fits pretty well. The boots are the right size (same size I have on the 4E so it should be good) and have a good tread on them. I like the wider shoulder straps and the little pocket that fits on them. The crotch strap has fabric stops so no fishing for the snap between your legs! Plus the elastic used seems stiffer than the 4E, maybe it won’t slide on the snap as easily. The lower legs fit well, the upper part of the legs is a bit baggy but shouldn’t be an issue. I didn’t get the telescoping torso but I didn’t have any issues getting into or out of the suit. Kevlar knee pads almost feel padded. Warm neck collar is easy to use also. I got the reflective stripes and my name/flag embroidered on the suit and bag, I requested no logos. The Kubi rings are the right size but the gloves they sent are a bit small, will change them out for the 720’s. Have to replace the silicone neck seal with a neoprene seal, cut off some of the excess elastic on the crotch strap and suspenders. Also need to replace the inflator with the electric power inflator for my heated undergarments. Feels good and I have good flexibility, was able to touch my toes, raise my arms, reach the dump valve without any problems. Now I just need to get it in the water for a leak test!View attachment 638078
Thanks for the update and the photo. The suit looks really good.

Got my suit earlier than expected, my completion date originally was Feb 19th so its about 4 weeks early. I did not get any undergarments as I will continue to use my 4th Element Artics. There was no extra duty or tariff costs so that was a pleasant surprise.

First test fit of the suit with my undergarments on. Initial impressions is that it fits pretty well. The boots are the right size (same size I have on the 4E so it should be good) and have a good tread on them. I like the wider shoulder straps and the little pocket that fits on them. The crotch strap has fabric stops so no fishing for the snap between your legs! Plus the elastic used seems stiffer than the 4E, maybe it won’t slide on the snap as easily. The lower legs fit well, the upper part of the legs is a bit baggy but shouldn’t be an issue. I didn’t get the telescoping torso but I didn’t have any issues getting into or out of the suit. Kevlar knee pads almost feel padded. Warm neck collar is easy to use also. I got the reflective stripes and my name/flag embroidered on the suit and bag, I requested no logos. The Kubi rings are the right size but the gloves they sent are a bit small, will change them out for the 720’s. Have to replace the silicone neck seal with a neoprene seal, cut off some of the excess elastic on the crotch strap and suspenders. Also need to replace the inflator with the electric power inflator for my heated undergarments. Feels good and I have good flexibility, was able to touch my toes, raise my arms, reach the dump valve without any problems. Now I just need to get it in the water for a leak test!View attachment 638078
Did you get the "tech boots", and can you speak to the width of the fit? Did you order your regular hiking boot size?

Did you get the "tech boots", and can you speak to the width of the fit? Did you order your regular hiking boot size?
I got the same size of boot that I had on 3 other dry suits. The boot fits pretty well, I didn’t notice any extra play or tightness. I don’t know what the width is but my boot is sized to accommodate a thin heated liner plus thick merino wool socks so it is larger than my normal shoe size. I did order the ‘tech boot’ version, it seems well made and not much different than the other ‘tech’ boots I have had.

My suit arrived today! It dispatched yesterday but I'm in the UK so it was a 24 hour turnaround. ~10 days earlier than advised in the order note.

This is my first drysuit and only the second one I've ever worn, the other being the large black elephant skin rental suit from my drysuit course. So my point of reference is somewhat limited. I bought the Nova with telescopic torso, 2 bellows pockets, neoprene socks, quick change neck and wrists and warm neck simple. I also bought one 250g undersuit.

The undersuit seems to fit ok but it's a little baggy at the back and in the legs then a little tight at the shoulders. Not a massive issue as it does still fit. I have odd shaped shoulders according to a Vietnamese tailor who measured me for a suit once so it may be my fault. I was sweating buckets by the time I took it off so it should be plenty warm for the cold Scottish waters.

The suit itself seems to fit well (relative to the elephant skin). Perhaps a little baggy in the upper legs area and at the back, and a little narrow at the hips/stomach area (an extra incentive to not put on weight). Donning/doffing the arms was a bit of struggle as my shoulder flexibility isn't what it should be - something to work on over lockdown.

The one thing I have noticed is the neoprene socks are huge - they're really quite baggy. I had thought they would be a tighter wetsuit-like fit. Is that normal? Unsurprisingly my existing wetsuit booties don't fit so I'll need to pick up another pair.

Based on the current lockdown in Scotland it'll likely be a while until I get to test it properly but I shall update here when I do!

My suit arrived today! It dispatched yesterday but I'm in the UK so it was a 24 hour turnaround. ~10 days earlier than advised in the order note.

This is my first drysuit and only the second one I've ever worn, the other being the large black elephant skin rental suit from my drysuit course. So my point of reference is somewhat limited. I bought the Nova with telescopic torso, 2 bellows pockets, neoprene socks, quick change neck and wrists and warm neck simple. I also bought one 250g undersuit.

The undersuit seems to fit ok but it's a little baggy at the back and in the legs then a little tight at the shoulders. Not a massive issue as it does still fit. I have odd shaped shoulders according to a Vietnamese tailor who measured me for a suit once so it may be my fault. I was sweating buckets by the time I took it off so it should be plenty warm for the cold Scottish waters.

The suit itself seems to fit well (relative to the elephant skin). Perhaps a little baggy in the upper legs area and at the back, and a little narrow at the hips/stomach area (an extra incentive to not put on weight). Donning/doffing the arms was a bit of struggle as my shoulder flexibility isn't what it should be - something to work on over lockdown.

The one thing I have noticed is the neoprene socks are huge - they're really quite baggy. I had thought they would be a tighter wetsuit-like fit. Is that normal? Unsurprisingly my existing wetsuit booties don't fit so I'll need to pick up another pair.

Based on the current lockdown in Scotland it'll likely be a while until I get to test it properly but I shall update here when I do!
You might find replacing the neoprene socks with proper boots will make using the suit earlier, unless your using rock boots over the socks. I ware thick thermal socks with my drysuit, the boots are a size bigger than normal shoes I ware.

When we can travel/dive again your more than welcome to come out with Fyne-divers, a BSAC club. We can get your weighting sorted as part of normal diving.

Just received my Nova drysuit today. I had it made with YKK zippers. Included with the suit is a beeswax stick, and Zip Tech lubricant. Not sure which to use, and whether I should lube the whole length of the zippers. Some guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Just received my Nova drysuit today. I had it made with YKK zippers. Included with the suit is a beeswax stick, and Zip Tech lubricant. Not sure which to use, and whether I should lube the whole length of the zippers. Some guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Brass or plastic zip? With brass lube the whole length, with plastic just the docking end.

The zipper is plastic. I'm not familiar with the term "docking end". Is that where the zipper sits when it's open, or closed? Does it make a difference which lube I use; beeswax vs Zip Tech? Thanks.

Beeswax is for metal zippers.

I use a tiny bit of zipper lube in dabs every 10” or so along my plastic zipper. I think that’s what the zipper instructions that came with mine said. It was a lot easier to slide the zipper after I lubed it like that.

The zipper is plastic. I'm not familiar with the term "docking end". Is that where the zipper sits when it's open, or closed? Does it make a difference which lube I use; beeswax vs Zip Tech? Thanks.
I have a TiZip on my Nova, it uses silicone lube at the very end only, the closing end. Stuartv has the YKK plastic zip so I would follow his advice.

Back
Top Bottom