Seaskin trilam drysuit purchase simulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqualung Fusion Bullet retails new for 1600 Euro in Belgium and should be similar price in Italy.

Standard features are:
-Waterproof and Breathable membrane design
-Protective outer skin of 1mm neoprene (replaceable if it wears out) attached with rapid zip system.
-Reinforced material in high wear areas
-YKK metal drysuit zipper that is protected by the protective neoprene outer skin of the suit.
-large pockets on each thigh with lanyard/d-ring to attach items to. Pockets are expandable via zippers on each side
-aqualung/apeks valve with LP inflator hose
-si-tech oval wrist rings
-si-tech neck tight/quick neck system
-silicone wrist seals
-silicone neck seal
-Internal suspenders with attached mesh pocket (removable) and mesh back comfort pannel
-waterproof laminate material socks
-ability to intergrate with Aqualung/Whites Fusion boots or any other neoprene or rock boot type overboots
-option to have relief/comfort zipper installed if purchasing factory direct
-option to have any p-valve installed if purchasing factory direct or can easily be installed by competent shop or end user.
-optional aqualung zippered hood.
-designed to integrate with with Aqualung Thermal Fusion undergarment (this is a great undersuit but I think it is overkill in all but the coldest water (less than 6C)).

-Z

If you plan using drygloves, get a system. Kubi should be great. Sitech oval rings are also good and versatile. You can use the oval rings with silicone wrist seals, attach drygloves directly or you can choose from several dryglove ring systems.

Do you think it is really useful to use drygloves? Because Kubi and other similar systems are quite expensive. I am thinking about it but I would like to understand if it's really necessary to use drygloves

@Zef
Thanks, will take a look to Aqualung Fusion Bullet too

Do you think it is really useful to use drygloves?

It depends on where you dive.
For me drygloves are essential.
I am used to drygloves, and wouldn't use wetgloves with drysuit at all. Either drygloves or bare hands with silicone seals for me..

I have a question concerning dry gloves. What are the alternatives and which consequences do they have on the drysuit to choose and especially the type of sleeves? I think that the thermic protection of the hands can indeed make the difference so dry gloves and drysuit sleeves are not just like other accessories. Perhaps it could be worth it to spend some money on it compared to other less important accessories

I only use drygloves under temps of 8 degrees Celsius. If you are living in Italy(correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think the temperature gets that cold year round? Above that I dive 5mm gloves till early Mai and then swap to 2 mm gloves.

The good thing is, most systems can be installed on standard seals, so you could just buy the drysuit and see if you like diving it with wet gloves, and you can still add a dryglove system later if you don't like it.

The main issue with dry gloves is that they are not very tactile. Yes you can still open small boltsnaps etc, but it's alot more 'numb' compared to using wet gloves.

Lakes in Italy have thermoclines with definitely dryglove conditions below them. It really depends.
If you think either silicone wrist seals or drygloves may be your thing, opt for Sitech oval rings.

I use the SITech Virgo on bothe of my drysuits, it bulky but easy to use and dry.

Do you think it is really useful to use drygloves? Because Kubi and other similar systems are quite expensive. I am thinking about it but I would like to understand if it's really necessary to use drygloves

@Zef
Thanks, will take a look to Aqualung Fusion Bullet too

The challenge here is that you have not specified any real information such as the conditions you dive in and what you expect from a drysuit. Do you need drygloves? no you don't drygloves but they make diving in cold water a hell of a lot more tolerable/comfortable.

When I set out purchasing my drysuit I had the following criteria:
1. Trilaminate/membrane type suit
2. Front entry/able to put on and close the suit without necessary assistance
3. User/field replaceable wrist and neck seals

The aqualung fusion bullet matched my criteria perfectly and then some. As a bonus I not only got a membrane type suit but it is waterproof and breathable. I was somewhat indifferent to latex or silicone seals but the si-tech neck and wrist system allows me to use either...my suit came with silicone seals and I am very happy with them; I have purchased a spare set that lives in my save-a-dive kit as that was part of the purpose of having user/field replaceable seals.

The Kubi ring system is very nice but I have been told by folks that use it here in belgium that they unanimously do not recommend using it with silicone seals....the thickness of the silicone seals is slightly thicker than latex and tends to become compromised/ruptured when used with the metal Kubi rings. Of course experience varies. I use the Waterproof Ultima DGS system with the si-tech oval rings. If I was to do it again I would check out the si-tech virgo dryglove system which is fairly similar to the si-tech glove lock system that my wife has on her drysuit and is easy to use and works well. The Ultima DGS works great but can be a challenge to separate the glove side from the suit side after a dive when your fingers are cold and dexterity is reduced due to the glove liners used under the dry glove.

I am diving regularly in waters between 3c and 10c could those dives be done in wet gloves or wet mittens? sure! would I be comfortable? not a chance!!!

My dry glove system was a great investment as well as my drysuit. Together they have allowed me to extend my diving season far beyond what I was willing to tolerate in a wetsuit.

Before anyone can give you an insightful response to any of your questions you need to articulate what it is you are looking to do and what features you value. Any response you have received thus far is an opinion based on what the person responding values and how they dive.

-Z

Thanks...
Well I will say something more about the type of dives. In Italy during summer I dive mostly in Liguria with a wetsuit. During winter (but also during early spring and late autumn) I would use the drysuit also in Liguria. Temperatures there are not very low, I would say about 10 Celsius degrees or more.
In winter I would also use it in the alpine lakes, where the temperatures go very low. It is normal to have 5 or 6 C degrees in the lakes in the mountains
Moreover, I would like to try sometime to dive in cold waters in Norway and other similar places
That said, I need a high degree of flexibility. I would say that I could do without drygloves at least for many dives in Liguria and in Lombardy lakes not in the mountains, but it is certainly a good idea to buy latex sleeves on the drysuit. This way it should be able to use them as normal sleeves before I purchase a dryglove system and then add it later to the drysuit if necessary (and if the budget allows it...)

That said, I need a high degree of flexibility. I would say that I could do without drygloves at least for many dives, but it is certainly a good idea to buy latex sleeves on the drysuit so that I can add drygloves compatible sleeves later

I would take Sitech ovals if I was you. They are nice and unobtrusive rings for field replaceable seals. Later on, if you decide to try drygloves you can mount them directly to your rings or get one of the glove systems which attach directly to ovals (Antares, Virgo and Ultima for the time being).

Seaskin is nice, but there are very good Italian drysuits made by Rofos and Divesystems for example. With all the options a Rofos probably doesn't cost that much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom