Seattle Water Taxi crew rescues scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A fire chief let me know that kirby is progressing and things are looking good for recovery, as I knew it would be. I am thankful for the taxi captain, as he and his crew are the ones that rescued and put him into the proper care.

Happy Diving

A fire chief let me know that kirby is progressing and things are looking good for recovery, as I knew it would be. I am thankful for the taxi captain, as he and his crew are the ones that rescued and put him into the proper care.

Happy Diving
Great to hear that. Yeah, the ferry crew got him help when seconds counted.

To keep y'all updated on Kirby's condition ... these were posted on Tuesday on another (local) board ...

Bassman:
I visited Kirby today, he is responsive and can respond with eye movements and can nod "yes" or "no".

He still has a ventilator tube down his throat but is mainly breathing on his own. I think they are controlling how much oxygen he is getting, as they slowly bring him down to normal levels. While I was there, a team of 7, Doctors nurses and other people in hospital garb, surrounded his bed as they discussed his improvements and what to do next. With a lot of help from the staff, they got him sitting up on the side of the bed, with his feet touching the floor. I could see the excitement from his family members, as this was a major step towards his recovery. Cards, money and visits are very much appreciated.It's interesting how Kirby's co-workers in the fire department, Kirby's co-volunteers from the Aquarium and his other dive buddies and nwdiveclub members, are getting to meet each other and see how much support there is for Kirby and his Family. I don't know if I'll get a chance to see him before I leave for my vacation but I'm sure going to try. I could see frustration on Kirby's face as he can not talk or use his arms for communicating.

Before I left I talked with one of the doctors, as he was talking about how Kirby needs to be staying at one atmosphere or maybe not diving at all after this. I did get him to agree that he can still dive in a 12 foot deep aquarium. He said, "well that wouldn't be much fun!" And I told him If you have a bunch of sharks in there it is! I asked Kelly about the "Bell" I heard Kirby found and she said, "Someone else mentioned that too" So then she turned and asked Kirby, "Did you find a bell?" Kirby's eyes opened wide and he nodded a solid "YES!" Keep Kirby in your prayers, I was able to join in a group prayer, with some of his fire department buddies before they left.

And another ...

shavedheadphil:
The Pollard Family would like to say THANK YOU for all the support that NWDIVECLUB has shown! Its amazing to see how many people this mans life has touched. I totally agree with Mattleycrue76. I don't think anything will keep Kirby out of the water. The report for the hospital today is very good and Kirby is doing much better. The hospital staff has been overwhelmed by the amount of people coming in to see him. I believe that they are going to move him to the 4th floor soon and visitors will have to wait in the downstairs waiting room to go up to see him in shifts. I'm looking into setting up a paypal account but my time and resources are limited due to work. Thanks again and I hope to meet everyone on Sunday!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Joe8, Kirby has made a great recovery, the fire Cheifs I know don't know kirby, but told me he is out of hospital and will be fine.

Kirby is a member here and will probably post sometime.

Lucky the fire union will help out when a firefighter needs it, one of the fireman went over to a bar and open the Tab for all of my subcontractors, and our company workers to thank us for building the firehouse. Most everyone just had dinner, and me and a couple others had beers with the fireman.

As For Kirby Like I Knew from his dive profile, If properly treated he will be fine and hope he can dive again someday.

So I give him a great confidence builder to go back down again someday.

Happy Diving

Kirby has posted on our local forum. From his post he indicated that he was looking for a wreck that's situated at a bit over 200 feet (the MT6), got narced and went too deep. The narcosis caused him to not turn when he hit the appropriate pressure, and he ran out of air at approximately 190 feet. He made a free ascent to about 80 feet, where he switched over to his deeper deco gas, and indicated that he even had time to make the gas switch on his dive computer (like myself, Kirby uses an X1) ... but he then had difficulty holding that depth because of the buoyancy of his empty cylinders. He surfaced, and was able to hail the water taxi prior to passing out. He also indicated that he has a visual loss due to the DCS.

I'm hoping for Kirby's full recovery ... as are all of us who know him. It's typical of his character that he would come onto a public forum and ... knowing that there are people who are eager to pounce on someone else's mistakes ... admit that he made them. Knowing Kirby I have to believe that he will learn from them ... that he will recover fully ... and that he will dive again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom