Seawing Nova breakage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am wondering if people have enough dives on the new-improved seawings to know if the breakage problem is truly fixed?

How would one know if one has the new-improved seawings?

you would have to look at the hinge on the fins...the old version have the notches cut in both the top and bottom and the new version the top of the hinge is flat. I have not heard of any problems with the new version yet

I guess not, so I will hold off any serious consideration of buying these for awhile.

Just to be clear, I know Scubapro offers a lifetime warranty and has been good about replacing broken fins, but if they fail while I am on Bonaire or Cozumel or a liveaboard for a week, that doesn't help much. There were too many breakage reports on the first version for me to be comfortable traveling with them and while I would hope the new version no longer has a problem, I want to see some user reports first. the fact no one has complained about the new version is a good sign.

If I were diving locally and a fin breakage might mess up a couple dives, then I might not care so much.

The new ones are improved enough were they havent had any reports of breaking. A lot of the time the reason some of them break is because of the way some people take care of them. The gorillas would be a nova to consider because they are made of a stiffer material and are slightly negative compared to the improved novas. I have a pair of the original ones that are yet to break or show any sign of breaking (cross my fingers).

The new ones are improved enough were they havent had any reports of breaking. A lot of the time the reason some of them break is because of the way some people take care of them. The gorillas would be a nova to consider because they are made of a stiffer material and are slightly negative compared to the improved novas. I have a pair of the original ones that are yet to break or show any sign of breaking (cross my fingers).

Just FYI, a Scubapro rep recently posted the Seawing Gorilla is positively buoyant. I have no personal knowledge, just reporting what I read in the event this matters to anyone.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/408246-seawing-nova-gorilla.html

I have the 1st generation Seawing Novas and had an 'incident' on my last trip. I slipped while entering the water and the fin hit the edge of the platform. It turned up and bent so far up that it hit my shin. I took it off when I got in the water, sure it was broken...but to my surprise it was OK!

I'm with ScubaSam1212...I've got my fingers crossed!

I guess not, so I will hold off any serious consideration of buying these for awhile.

Just to be clear, I know Scubapro offers a lifetime warranty and has been good about replacing broken fins, but if they fail while I am on Bonaire or Cozumel or a liveaboard for a week, that doesn't help much. There were too many breakage reports on the first version for me to be comfortable traveling with them and while I would hope the new version no longer has a problem, I want to see some user reports first. the fact no one has complained about the new version is a good sign.

If I were diving locally and a fin breakage might mess up a couple dives, then I might not care so much.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

I've got a pair of the originals and I've got two years and 50+ dives with zero issues, I love these things.

I have had two older, one broke and was replaced, the other is still fine. So now two pair of the new ones and no issues with them.

So 300+ dives on the bunch. And love these fins..... No I'm not ScubaPro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom