Sebastian Inlet Fishes - ID help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellyfishjoy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

All of these fishes were spotted midday last week, diving in 6 -10 ft of water, in Sebastian Inlet (East Central Florida) along the rock jetty. Hoping to add a few of these to my fish count but at this point not 100% sure of ID.

a) Sanddiver or Inshore lizardfish? About 12 inches. Diamond markings fit the bill for inshore, but looks like there might be the spot near the gills indicative of sanddiver.
sanddiver:lizardfish? .png

b) Jack sp. - some yellow on tail and body. About 12 - 18 inches. Guessing Crevalle Jack but as you can see not much of picture. Not the right shape for yellow jack. School of about 6 swimming by.
horse eye jack or jack crevalle.png

c) Molly Miller? - hiding in a spong. head protruding only about 1 inch in diameter. Cirri looks right but not sure if image is sufficient to tell for sure.
molly miller? .png

d) Yellowtail Parrotfish? About 3-4 inches, swimming near the rocks. Not sure what other parrotfish it could be, tail definitely yellowish, but body a lot more mottled than any pictures from my guide books.
yellowtail parrotfish? .png

e) Baitfish about an inch (snook = 2 ft; sheepshead = 1 ft). no idea
snook sheepshead and baitfish.png

a. Likely an inshore lizardfish due to the dark markings (with pale centers) on the sides and dark bars on dorsal. Don't see the dark operculum spot or blue/gold stripes typical of sanddiver.
b. Hard to tell from photo (too far away). Eye looks large, and tail looks yellowish, maybe a horse-eye jack?
c. Hard to tell from photo (too soft a focus), cirri appear banded which would make molly miner a good guess.
d. If size were a bit larger, I'd say a stoplight parrotfish.
e. Hard to tell from photo (too far away). Appears to have darkish stripes and spot behind eye; maybe red-ear sardine? Would need to see close up of head to be sure.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Most of these are going to be hard to get a definitive ID on, but...
A. I would agree inshore lizard, Synodus foetens
B. Not sure, but it looks like there may be a dark opercular spot, which would be Crevalle, Caranx hippos
C. Blennies are tough from the head shot, often it can involve looking at the cirri and other meristic counts under a microscope. I am not going to even guess on this one.
D. Looks like Emerald Parrotfish, Nicholsina usta
E. Not much to go on to get it anywhere past Clupeidae spp.

Back
Top Bottom