Second Dive Mask Issues- Leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone else notice a problem between dives with mask fit? The mask that worked so well on dive number one suddenly leaks like a sieve on dive number two.

Adjusting strap does not help. It's like the shape of my face changed between dives. It's possible that my 5-o'clock shadow had that much more time to grow in. Sometimes changing to a new mask helps. Other times it does not. I hydrate well before and after dives, so skin elasticity changes don't seem like the culprit.

Anyone else experience this issue? It is really a pain in the neck when you have aid for a two tank boat dive and all you want to do is come back up because you are continuously - and mean at least once a minute- clearing your mask.

What water temperature are you diving in? Do you leave your mask in the sun between dives or in a bucket of water?

how long is your hair?

I used to get random leaks. Then I finally realized that my hair was sometimes getting trapped by the top seal of my mask. And causing a leak.

Now each dive trip includes a pre-emptive visit to my barber. For a shorter than normal scuba cut.

I dive in Florida. So it is usually warm to hot. Usually put mask in bucket, but not always. I know where you are going with that, and it might be something to look into, but five minutes in the cooler water and mask should shrink back to size. I am vigilant about my hair stuffed in the sides, and any folds or hair are checked by my dive buddy. When boat diving it is more of a hassles to make sure mask is adjusted property before you jump in. When snorkeling, I tilt my head back, dunk, and let the water streamline my hair back works like a charm. Not as easy to do full of gear and floating while you buddy is trying to race to the bottom.

I once had a certain mask that required me to lower the strap on the back of my head to keep it from leaking. It didn't make sense, but it worked. And it was a real nuisance; hence, I got rid of it.

Cheers
Charles

Does anyone else notice a problem between dives with mask fit? The mask that worked so well on dive number one suddenly leaks like a sieve on dive number two.

I had one fit fine on dive one and start leaking on dive two. But then it didn't stop: I spent 4 more dives trying to make it work before deciding that first dive was a fluke. (My best guesstheory is I must've had the reg in my mouth just right and never moved it on that 1st dive.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom