Second Hand Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both of my Giotto's are used. The annoying thing was that I couldn't wipe out their histories so that I could start fresh with them, /but/ because their histories can't be wiped out, I discovered that one had only five dives and the other had 18. They're practically new and I got them for the price of a new Leonardo each.

I bought a used Aeris Elite T3 (a.k.a Oceanic VT4, Hollis DG03, probably other names) with transmitter for 226 euros. It had 110 dives on it when I got it, haven't had any issues worth mentioning with it so far. It does lose the transmitter occasionally, but always recovers within a few seconds. I do carry an SPG as a backup, but only check it when setting up the tank. The 'estimated dive time remaining' feature is exceedingly useful.
Aeris Elite T3 = Oceanic VT3, the Hollis ran only PZ+, not DSAT. Nice price, especially considering you got a PPS transmitter that can be used with many other computers, including Perdix AI and Teric

OP inquired about a second hand used computer, we've managed to discuss wrist vs. console, AI vs. non-AI, hosed vs. hoseless, SPG vs. no SPG. Looks like we've only missed deco algorithm :)

Having recently gotten into the hobby with my wife, so we needed two computers (seeing I viewed that as what, aside from personal gear, should be the first thing to buy). I scored a very lightly used Suunto D6i off of the Scuba Gear Swap and Shot Facebook group and then a new-in-box Suunto Vyper Novo off of eBay, both at reasonable prices. Each transaction went well and units performed flawlessly on our trips last month. I'd also recommend the classified boards here - there's always some good units available, or toss up a WTB thread and I'm confident you'd find some really good deals on well maintained units.

The last 10 to 15 years of my diving has been on Ebay bought computers circa 1983 to 1999 or bottom timers. I wouldn't dive a new computer if given me.Likely to be more than 5000 dives in that time.

Aeris Elite T3 = Oceanic VT3, the Hollis ran only PZ+, not DSAT. Nice price, especially considering you got a PPS transmitter that can be used with many other computers, including Perdix AI and Teric

Thanks for the info; I'll keep it in mind. Haven't looked into differences between different decompression algorithms so far, as diving in groups, on single tanks, down to at most 30 meters, it doesn't really make a difference.

Thanks for the info; I'll keep it in mind. Haven't looked into differences between different decompression algorithms so far, as diving in groups, on single tanks, down to at most 30 meters, it doesn't really make a difference.
Aeris Elite T3 runs DSAT, same as Oceanic VT3, this is before dual algorithm. DSAT is among the most liberal of available deco algorithms. Your NDL is very unlikely to be the limiting factor in your group. It would be quite easy to approach deco at 30 meters, especially on air, the NDL is only 20 minutes

So I have to disagree there, I only have 2 hoses on my reg, my primary and a LPI. I would rather less hoses over worrying about wrist or console, personally

I dived with my AI wrist computer and 2 hoses on my first stage for 100s of dives as did my girlfriend. Then a couple of years ago during a Coz trip we were plagued with computer issues. One flooded and was destroyed, another had electrical issues that might also have been due to slight water penetration although that's unclear (but cleaning the battery compartment and swapping out the battery fixed it). Either way there were 2 dives where we lost the use of the air integrated computer, and after those dives I attached mini spgs on extra thin hoses to the first stages of our regulators- doesn't add much bulk, gives piece of mind and avoids aborting a dive if the computer fails- I'd still dive without a computer in most cases but not without knowing how much gas I had in my tank. Also having a mini spg makes the predive pressure check easier you don't have to wait for the wrist unit to sync with the tank.

You know your dive computers! Yes I was looking at the Hollis which is equivalent to the VT Pro in many ways and was thinking of picking one up as a spare but the algorithm is different and much more conservative so I aborted that idea.

You know your dive computers! Yes I was looking at the Hollis which is equivalent to the VT Pro in many ways and was thinking of picking one up as a spare but the algorithm is different and much more conservative so I aborted that idea.
I know the PPS computers pretty well, started diving them in 2001 with a Pro Plus. My family has also owned Pro Plus 2s, VT3, and VT4. I'm fond of the DSAT deco algorithm. I'm not so fond on the current Oceanic lineup. When/if my VT3 dies, I may dive my son's VT4 and/or get an AI running Buhlmann, now it would probably be a Teric, heck, I've already got the transmitters. I've been running a Dive Rite Nitek Q as backup for a couple of years and am now quite familiar with Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. Too bad the Nitek Q is no longer available, was only $400, easily least expensive computer running that algorithm. The relationship between DSAT and Buhlmann is not perfectly straightforward, matching them with a single GF setting for all dives is just not possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom