Second Hand Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris Elite T3 runs DSAT, same as Oceanic VT3, this is before dual algorithm. DSAT is among the most liberal of available deco algorithms. Your NDL is very unlikely to be the limiting factor in your group. It would be quite easy to approach deco at 30 meters, especially on air, the NDL is only 20 minutes

Yeah, I've come within a few minutes of NDL a couple times, doing 3-4 dives a day on air. One of those, another diver in the group, who was using a Suunto computer, did go into deco. Nitrox is of course a different story, breathing down the tank long before NDL becomes an issue.

I'm considering moving the computer from my wrist to the camera, which I rarely dive without - saw the idea in a video, where a camera rig was set up with a carbon fiber float arm between the camera handles, and the computer was strapped around the arm. This should make keeping an eye out on air consumption and NDL even easier, but I'd need a new arm - my current 200mm ones are not long enough to span the tray.

Or you could dive with operators who don't get their knickers in a twist when their clients spend a few more minutes at the safety stop.. provided they're out within the total runtime for the dive as set in pre-dive briefing.

Yeah, I've come within a few minutes of NDL a couple times, doing 3-4 dives a day on air. One of those, another diver in the group, who was using a Suunto computer, did go into deco.

I'd rather have a more generous computer and voluntarily stay within safer margins than be "forced" to end a dive because of an arbitrarily excessively conservative algorithm that might lock me out of my computer for an imaginary perceived transgression for a least 24 hours as some sort of punishment.

Nitrox is of course a different story, breathing down the tank long before NDL becomes an issue.

Don't bet on that. On deeper repetitive dives NDL can become a huge factor and can eclipse the importance of how much gas you have remaining in your tank.

Or you could dive with operators who don't get their knickers in a twist when their clients spend a few more minutes at the safety stop.. provided they're out within the total runtime for the dive as set in pre-dive briefing.

I was on a liveaboard where they flat out told us that anyone who goes into deco will be barred from diving for the rest of the day. On the other hand, they had EAN32 at no extra charge, so I never came close to NDLs. That deco case I mentioned was at Koh Tao, with Sairee Cottage Diving, and nobody paid it any mind.

Don't bet on that. On deeper repetitive dives NDL can become a huge factor and can eclipse the importance of how much gas you have remaining in your tank.

I won't argue that it's possible, but I've never reached that point. In a mixed group where some divers are carrying nitrox and others air, the air divers' NDL is the primary limiting factor anyway.

I won't argue that it's possible, but I've never reached that point. In a mixed group where some divers are carrying nitrox and others air, the air divers' NDL is the primary limiting factor anyway.

You've clearly never done a triple deep wreck trek.

I was on a liveaboard where they flat out told us that anyone who goes into deco will be barred from diving for the rest of the day.

So what, did they have Scuba Police looking at everyone's computers all the time during the dive? Or did they take everyone's computer and scroll through the logs after every dive? I hope that was clearly spelled out on the sheet of paper you signed and agreed to before they took your money.

So what, did they have Scuba Police looking at everyone's computers all the time during the dive? Or did they take everyone's computer and scroll through the logs after every dive?

I think the threat is meant more as a deterrent with no means to really enforce it. "Johnny if I see your hand in the cookie jar before dinner, no DESSERT!" I bet he'd get dessert even if he grabbed a cookie and he probably knows it too.

Besides for the police to be fair they should exclude Suunto Zoops or at least make the punishment more mild.

I think the threat is meant more as a deterrent with no means to really enforce it. "Johnny if I see your hand in the cookie jar before dinner, no DESSERT!"

I bet you are an optimist. I suspect the rule "stay down as long as you want provided you don't go into deco" was set by either idiots or insurance company lawyers. I'm sure I'd rather deal with the lawyers... but not if I can give my money to another op instead.

I bet you are an optimist. I suspect the rule "stay down as long as you want provided you don't go into deco" was set by either idiots or insurance company lawyers.

It's always about the liability. They gotta say it even if they can't enforce it. If there's an accident they want to be able to say under cross examination that they did explain the no deco rule, and have it backed up by witness testimony by other divers on the boat. A computer log showing a deco obligation incurred could save an insurance company a few million bucks easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom