Second hand rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
a reveo is up for sale info from the seller is

a Petrel 2 controller with RMS. have done about 300 hrs on it. I’m the third owner, I put all new electronics on it 140 dives ago. It’s a well used unit, all titanium Standard size
wants $US 5100 for it including NERD

what can revo owners advise about this is it worth a look what do i need to look at /be wary of

any advice appreciated

Thats a good price for all the features, but do you intend to travel with it? Look into what flying with it would entail if you plan to do so.

I just bought a used rEvo last week. As such, I did a bunch of research recently. That unit, with RMS, a Petrel 2 and a NERD seems like a really good deal - provided the Standard size is what you want. And provided the CLs are in decent shape and haven't been neglected to the point they need to be replaced.

I am 6' 1" and 230# - so not a small person. The rEvo I bought is a Mini and I am just a tiny bit concerned that I might eventually regret not holding out for a Micro.

The main differences (from what I know) are, obviously, the external dimensions, and the counterlung size. You need whatever size CL you need. But, having bigger ones than you need just makes it a little bit harder to dive - at least, that is my understanding. But, I literally just started my first CCR training this past weekend. I found the rEvo specs online but can't remember exactly now exactly what size is on each model. The Micro CLs are a fair bit smaller than the Mini, but I think the Standard are only a little bit bigger than the Mini.

Having bigger counterlungs is not an issue once you get some hours. You should be running minimum loop volume anyway. It's at the beginning where it's easy to put too much gas in the loop and you start dealing with buoyancy issues, etc. It just takes a little more effort to dive. Having counterlungs that are too small however, can cause all sorts of problems. Ideally you want the right size, but if you have to go one direction, having more space (that you won't use) is better than not having enough space and making it hard to breathe, triggering the OPV all the time, having to vent, CO2 retention, etc.

That being said, diving with massive lungs has its own set of issues. I HATED the stock counterlungs on my Meg because they were so big, but as soon as I went to neoprene lungs it was much easier to dive. However, if the neo lungs were any smaller, I wouldn't have been able to dive it safely at all. It's all a tradeoff.

You need to make sure you can adequately vent your lungs so that you don't start to retain CO2. If you can't do that without pissing gas out of the unit, your counterlungs are too small. Once you get the hang of minumum loop volume and you're comfortable, the excess size won't matter and you can step down in lung size if you want.

I'm not a rebreather instructor, but this has been my experience on the 3 units I'm certified on, and the several I have try-dived, including the waffle box.

As for what specifically to look for, ask @Dsix36 he's probably the most knowledgable about what things you need to look at, he's had his apart, butchered, frankensteined, put back together, subject to some questionably ethical studies into machine sentience, and all points in between. He probably knows more about the units than Paul does.

my meg has something asinine like 10l counterlungs and it's no more difficult to dive at min-loop than if it was 4l total. Just means they're less full. Sure they can get much more full for a runaway ascent, but you should be maintaining min-loop as @JohnnyC said above and it's not rocket science, even on ascent.
I wish they were smaller and I'm hunting for a set of neo lungs right now, but it is solely for real estate and comfort, won't change how easy or hard it is to maintain min-loop. Just gives me more real estate on my chest and comfort that I get from that

I agree with Johnny about @Dsix36's knowledge on the unit. He's what my brain defaults to when I hear Revo

Yeah. Stock Meg OTSL's are 8L. 4L each is freaking HUGE. I understand why, some quiet dude pulling a dry bag full of demolition charges up onto a beach is probably not as relaxed and tranquil as someone puttering along a reef or in a cave, but even then they're probably pretty effing excessive. Trying to dump a full set of those on ascent is a royal pain in the ass. Fortunately that's rarely the case, but it's something you've gotta know how to do. My instructor had me do it as an exercise and it was not elegant at all. Fortunately because of their location you can throw an arm across your chest like doing a crush and flush and physically limit the volume if you need to.

The neo lungs were the best upgrade I ever made to my Meg, even more so than going to 2.7a with online deco. I actually LIKED diving my Meg once I got them. Although I would still prefer some decent BMCL's. I don't care what Leon says, the stock lungs still get in the way. If I hadn't sold it, I would have called up Subgravity and picked up some BMCL's and t-pieces and gone that direction. In the end Im' much happier with my decision to sell it and pick up an SF2. Removes the issue altogether.

:hijack: Sorry for hijacking.
... but as soon as I went to neoprene lungs it was much easier to dive.
The neo lungs were the best upgrade I ever made to my Meg...
Why is that? Care to elaborate? I just crossed from OC into the darkside (CC) and have accumulated whopping 11.22 hours on a rEvo. Loving it so far and looking to learn more about it.

:hijack: Sorry for hijacking.Why is that? Care to elaborate? I just crossed from OC into the darkside (CC) and have accumulated whopping 11.22 hours on a rEvo. Loving it so far and looking to learn more about it.

They are lower volume, more streamlined, more easily repairable, etc. They make maintaining minimum loop volume much easier, and they are lower profile so they are less distracting than having two giant pillows inflating and deflating in front of you.

These are a Meg thing though, not for a rEvo. It was just a commentary on counterlung volume, not specifically related to the rEvo itself.

If you already have a unit, I wouldn't sell it and pick up a Meg just so you can use a set of neoprene counterlungs. I mean, I'd get rid of it for other reasons, just not specifically so you could run a Meg with neo lungs.... :D

@tbone1004, have you tried the new ISC lungs? Much cleaner than the OTSL so mostly open chest and they are scallop shaped so they don't feel like a victorian collar around your neck.

I tried the 3L version on several dives and found them 1000x more comfortable, but a little small for me. I've tried the 4L in the pool only & hoping that will be the perfect fit.

@tbone1004, have you tried the new ISC lungs? Much cleaner than the OTSL so mostly open chest and they are scallop shaped so they don't feel like a victorian collar around your neck.

I tried the 3L version on several dives and found them 1000x more comfortable, but a little small for me. I've tried the 4L in the pool only & hoping that will be the perfect fit.

debating on whether it's worth the $800 for those or spend the $1100 for the subgravity bmcl kit

Back
Top Bottom