Second pool session, thinking of quitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nebrunner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I signed my wife and I up and we have been doing the study sessions together and having some fun with it. The first pool session went pretty well but was a little scarier than I thought it would be.

I figured it would get easier/less scary by the second pool but I was wrong :(

Let me tell you my specific issue. It all comes down to the skill where you have to take your mask off, put it back on and clear it.

I am middle aged. My whole life I have never been able to swim without nose plugs. Water in the nose, down the back of my throat, then getting sick. But put on nose plugs and no problem, I am a fish. I can swim for hours. Whether this is a mental issue, physiological, or faulty swim lessons at the YMCA, I don't know. But it has always been an issue for me.

I figured SCUBA would not be an issue because I get to wear my nice mask like when I snorkel (love to snorkel, never had a problem with it) and my nose is enclosed.

But haha, the joke was on me! I went out and dumped a couple thousand dollars for some basic gear and lessons and then on the first night the instructor is making us take off our masks! Whoops!

So I did as he asked, I was at the bottom of the pool and I took off my mask. But of course I immediately took my other hand and pinched off my nose so I didnt have water streaming down my throat. The instructor motions me to let go of my nose. I refuse. I then put my mask back on and cleared it. We went up top and he asked me what was up, I told him I had to hold my nose. He said we would work on that.

Last weekend I took the mask and snorkel to a local pool to do some practice but it was not to be. Even in 3 feet of water I just cant do it. I pretty much made up my mind right then and there and told my wife that I was going to have to quit the class because I cant/won't take my mask off without pinching off my nose. She sighed as the only reason she is in this class (she is doing great btw) was to humor me.

You guys all seem like pros and I think I am the only person who has this water issue. Whether it is a phobia or some kind of deviated septum/nasal issue, I really couldn't tell you. All I can say is I have had it forever and I guess I didn't realize it would be a deal breaker on the SCUBA. I feel like a fool.

Update:
Hi guys, thanks for everything! We just returned from the scuba trip to Grand Cayman and both my wife and I are now certified divers.

We went on 20 dives over the course of the week, actually my wife did 21 as she went on a night dive that I passed on.

No problems on any of the dives but I did get nervous on two of the dives where we went below 100 feet, and my air use went up and I ran out of time before everybody else.

Already looking forward to our next trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a nose breather....

On Thursday I'll be doing the 9th pool session with a nose breather. I heard much of what you posted from her at the start of class. There were 9 people in this class and I didn't have time to work through the issues, so we are working one on one to get over the issue. We made great progress on the last session and she should be ready for checkouts after Thursday.

Her last session consisted of her laying on the surface, wearing only swim goggles and a snorkel, just breathing. She would suck water up her nose, cough and sputter, then go back to it. By the end of the session, she could keep her face in the water indefinitely.

Like I told her, if you want to do this, you can. I've read posts by members who wanted it so bad, they used their kitchen sinks to get over nose breathing. You are not alone, of all the issues facing students, this is one of the most common. Do a search on this board for mask clearing and you will see you are in good company. The good news is you can overcome the issue.

Spend some time out of the water, breathing from the snorkel. If you need, pinch your nose closed when you inhale and release when you exhale.
Next, get into the water with just the snorkel and submerge to just below your nose. Once you are comfortable with this, submerge past you nostrils and continue breathing until you can do so without sucking water up your nose.

If you had a mask dislodged while diving, in your current state, you would likely panic and bolt for the surface. This is the greatest risk and the root cause needs to be resolved before you move to OW.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Last edited:
You're a nose breather....

Like I told her, if you want to do this, you can. I've read posts by members who wanted it so bad, they used their kitchen sinks to get over nose breathing. You are not alone, of all the issues facing students, this is one of the most common. Do a search on this board for mask clearing and you will see you are in good company. The good news is you can overcome the issue.

So much the truth! You will make the final decision of "is it worth it?" But I can assure you that by conquering this fear/problem you will find yourself better for it, not just for diving.

As my profile shows, I am an instructor-trainer (PADI calls it Course Director). As a new diver I had so many problems that my first instructor said that some day I'd make a great instructor because I've had to learn to overcome every problem he'd ever seen.

I spent every one of my first 20-25 dives wondering if I should just quit and sell my gear.

Obviously, you know the answer to that one.

Don't feel like a fool.Check with your Dr. to see if there is a medical issue that causes water to run down your throat,if there is no medical reason causing the water to run down your throat then you need to decide to try and overcome whatever it is that is causing this to happen. Hopefully you can get by this mask removal skill.Knowing how to clear a flooded,accidentally knocked off mask is crucial to diving.If you master this skill and finish the certification you will be rewarded with the opportunity to go and see/experience what so many others do not:the beautiful oceans and all of its' animals,secrets,mystery and sheer peace and beauty.Know that you are not alone on the mask clearing skill,MANY new students struggle with it at first, but most do learn how to properly and safely do it.I was uncomfortable with removing and clearing my mask when I first certified in 1998, but I stayed with it and once did it I realized that it was'nt that difficult and I was perfectly safe doing it.Fast forward almost ten years and pushing 600 dives later and I am SO happy that I got my certification.Good luck and if for some reason you do not finish your class, it's not the end of the world! Hope to read that you DID finish your class at a later date here on ScubaBoard.

Its more common then you would think-- you just have to decide if its something your willing to work with to overcome, or if you really don't feel like you can. If its something that makes you so uncomfortable that your always going to be scared to go underwater then it simply isnt worth it. SCUBA is supposed to be fun, and if it never is for you, then don't push it. However, it sounds like you would really enjoy it if you could get over it... Try talking with your instructor and see if he/she could provide some one on one training with a lot of patience... like 24940 said-- its conquerable.

Good luck!!!!

Nebrunner... don't even think of depriving yourself of the single best (ok, the second best) pastime ever conceived, based on one of the most common obstacles in learning... There are very few 'naturals.'

For my wife, it was the concept of taking a breath underwater (even though she had a reg in her mouth). It took quite a few sessions for her to realize it wouldn't kill her, and 26 lbs. of weight to get her under (until we discovered she was holding her breath as she initially descended in the pool).

Now she's a fish. Now she swims circles around me, and sips air like an insect, even on deep wrecks, which *really* pisses me off... And now, you can't get her out of the water... when she was adament about giving up on her 2nd pool session...

Give it another chance... (and if necessary, another, and another...).

Some people have nostrils shaped in a way where they can't keep water out. For most others, it's simply a matter of keeping positive pressure by not inhaling (or slightly exhaling). If you're one of the former, it's going to be pretty difficult, but it's very possible (and from what I've seen, very likely) that you're one of the latter and just need to learn how to control it. For what it's worth, mask remove and replace is one of the hardest drills for new divers; it's just plain disconcerting. But almost everyone gets past it.

Being able to keep control in the event of a mask failure is pretty important - scuba can really be a piece of cake when everything works and goes according to plan. But part of the reason for training and certification is to help you deal with common problems that may occur, and it can be very easy to accidentally lose a mask.

There is a kid in our class that can't handle water in his mask. Our instructor suggested that he fill his mask up halfway in the shower and walk around the house with it like that. He said that you will be in a comfortable environment and that would help to ease any fear that was associated with the water around the nose. Plus, it helps practice mouth breathing.

I signed my wife and I up and we have been doing the study sessions together and having some fun with it. The first pool session went pretty well but was a little scarier than I thought it would be.

I figured it would get easier/less scary by the second pool but I was wrong :(

Let me tell you my specific issue. It all comes down to the skill where you have to take your mask off, put it back on and clear it.

I am middle aged. My whole life I have never been able to swim without nose plugs. Water in the nose, down the back of my throat, then getting sick. But put on nose plugs and no problem, I am a fish. I can swim for hours. Whether this is a mental issue, physiological, or faulty swim lessons at the YMCA, I don't know. But it has always been an issue for me.

I figured SCUBA would not be an issue because I get to wear my nice mask like when I snorkel (love to snorkel, never had a problem with it) and my nose is enclosed.

But haha, the joke was on me! I went out and dumped a couple thousand dollars for some basic gear and lessons and then on the first night the instructor is making us take off our masks! Whoops!

So I did as he asked, I was at the bottom of the pool and I took off my mask. But of course I immediately took my other hand and pinched off my nose so I didnt have water streaming down my throat. The instructor motions me to let go of my nose. I refuse. I then put my mask back on and cleared it. We went up top and he asked me what was up, I told him I had to hold my nose. He said we would work on that.

Last weekend I took the mask and snorkel to a local pool to do some practice but it was not to be. Even in 3 feet of water I just cant do it. I pretty much made up my mind right then and there and told my wife that I was going to have to quit the class because I cant/won't take my mask off without pinching off my nose. She sighed as the only reason she is in this class (she is doing great btw) was to humor me.

You guys all seem like pros and I think I am the only person who has this water issue. Whether it is a phobia or some kind of deviated septum/nasal issue, I really couldn't tell you. All I can say is I have had it forever and I guess I didn't realize it would be a deal breaker on the SCUBA. I feel like a fool.

Don't quit!:no Just think of how great you'll feel about yourself by working through this. Plus you'll be diving. Many folks have dealt with the same thing and have become successful. Read TSandM's dive journal, while it may not deal with your exact problem it does illustrate nicely how one can over come difficulties within scuba and it is funny.:D

Nebrunner... don't even think of depriving yourself of the single best (ok, the second best) pastime ever conceived, based on one of the most common obstacles in learning... There are very few 'naturals.'

For my wife, it was the concept of taking a breath underwater (even though she had a reg in her mouth). It took quite a few sessions for her to realize it wouldn't kill her, and 26 lbs. of weight to get her under (until we discovered she was holding her breath as she initially descended in the pool).

Now she's a fish. Now she swims circles around me, and sips air like an insect, even on deep wrecks, which *really* pisses me off... And now, you can't get her out of the water... when she was adament about giving up on her 2nd pool session...

Give it another chance... (and if necessary, another, and another...).

What's the single best thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom