Second pool session, thinking of quitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe this forum needs a sticky thead with a title like "Mask Clearing Problems? Read Here!". It seems to be the most often posted issue in the newbie forum of late. It seems a lot of people have issues with it, and most of them think they are alone. It might be helpfull for people to quickly realise that this is a very very common problem that most people get through. And stressing about it will just be counter-productive.

Personally, while i didn't have an issue per se with mask clearing, every time I did it, I would end up with a small amount water down my nose and would have to cough it up. It's funny how a single long dive with a badly leaking mask fixed that one.

Yeh, that was one of my points. When I earlier choked and went up to ask what to do and then went back down, choked again, stayed down and worked through it even when the instructor asked if I wanted to go up.

Then the deep water event happened and I didn't immediately bolt, I tried while on my knees, then I went up to an upright position, tried again and then it realllllly wasn't working and then repeatedly signaled him I was not ok and to go to the top. I felt that based on that he has seen me attempt to work through it before and not just bolt and that I had reached my own personal comfort level, we should have come up.

The one thing that I think of in the back of my head is if he didn't listen to me.....will a buddy in an open ocean, or will they decide that they know what is best for me as well???

On a side note, I have been snorkeling in the bathtub quite successfully, walking around with water covering my nose in a mask and no issues at all but just need to get to a pool to try clearing a fully flooded mask.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement!

The situation when doing your OW, particularly pool sessions, and diving once qualified is a little different. For me when diving there is no ambiguity, if someone signals to thumb the dive its over. We can discuss the reasons for thumbing the dive once safely on the surface. Just make sure you make this clear to your future prospective dive buddies, a signal to thumb a dive is a statement not a request. Good luck.

I did not want to post a negative reply before you had an opportunity to confront this challenge. I am glad that you succeded in your pool sessions. Now that you know that you are capable of doing this safety task in controled conditions I ask you to honestly consider your abilities with respect to your spouse's safety. I can gaurantee you that the day will come when you or your spouse will loose your mask. However, it will not be in 10 ft. in a fresh water pool. It will be at 70 fsw, you will be at or near your no decompression limit, and it will be in salt water, not pool water. It will not be your fault. It will get knocked off by someone else's fin, a mask strap will break, or your hair will be too long, a strap fitting will loosen and off it will go. You will not be able to recover your mask because it will be on its way to Davy Jone's locker. Neither you nor your buddy (your wife?) will have a spare mask on you. It will be a few moments before your buddy even notices that you have a problem if you can't get her attention right away. It will be necessary for you to breath off your regulator for more than a few minutes without the mask. You will need to keep your eyes open at least sporadically and make a controled ascent with your buddy's assistance. You will need to spend at least three minutes at the safety stop without your mask and do so without panicking. Preferably you will be able to make it back to the ascent line or the entry before you ascend so you will not expose youself and your buddy to boat traffic at the surface. If you are confident you can do all that great! If you are not please consider the burden and the risks you are placing on your buddy.

I speak from some experience as my daughter was a "nose breather" and worse had problems keeping her eyes open in salt water. I would not let her start the certification process until she could take her mask off, open her eyes and tell me a sequence of finger numbers while snorkling in salt water. Anything short of that was too much of a risk to her and to me. She actually did loose her mask at a safety stop (hair band came out, strap was loose, mask floated up and off). Falling into an old habit she did not keep her eyes open, couldn't see her SPG and lost her bouyancy control. I held on to her and tried to keep her from going into an uncontroled assent. I did not entirely suceed and we did ascend slowly but prematurely. This could have been much more serious if this had happened at depth. We are going to have to do some more practice, particularly on non-visual communications. Without going on and on I can't tell you how many mistakes, partial equipment failures, etc. I have made/has happened to me or my buddy (mostly me) over just a few short years of diving. It has shown me that none of the OW safety skill we learned are superfluous. If there are any you are not completely comfortable with do not dive until you are confident you can: i) remember them, ii) not panic, and iii) perform them in real world conditions without loosing bouyancy control, etc.

OK, time for me to get off my high horse. Let the flaming begin!

One step at a time. Although I agree with some of your post, I thinks its a little premature for the OP.

Hi guys, thanks for everything! We just returned from the scuba trip to Grand Cayman and both my wife and I are now certified divers.

We went on 20 dives over the course of the week, actually my wife did 21 as she went on a night dive that I passed on.

No problems on any of the dives but I did get nervous on two of the dives where we went below 100 feet, and my air use went up and I ran out of time before everybody else.

Already looking forward to our next trip!

Awesome, congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom