Second stage swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone out there have experience with an add-on second stage swivel?

As I age the TMJ is getting worse. An Aqualung Comfo-bite mouthpiece has helped but I still get a tugging feeling on my regulator when I turn my head, which could be making me tense my jaw more.

A swivel sounds like it could help but it's also adding one more failure point.

A good swivel will make your life so much easier. I also believe the obsession on counting failure points that seems to be everywhere is also a touch overblown.

My wife had the same issues you had, went to swivel and never looked back.

@RainPilot -which swivel did you get?
I was thinking about a swivel last year, but never did pull the trigger.
I looked at the Omniswivel (expensive), the XS Scuba swivel (ball in socket configuration), the Cave Adventurers swivel (ball in socket configuration), the Miflex dual swivel hose (not a modular solution), the Atomic Universal Swivel hose (not modular, rubber hose).

Last edited:
Man it was years ago. I think it was Omni but I'd have to go check. @tbone1004 has the skinny on the various swivel options.

It's 2 am so when I get up tomorrow I'll check which one I have.

Xsscuba now has a combination 90 degree ball swivel. It bypasses the oring issue with regular 90 elbows and works quite well. Much greater range of motion in the correct axis than either a 90 elbow or normal ball swivel.

Anyone out there have experience with an add-on second stage swivel?

As I age the TMJ is getting worse. An Aqualung Comfo-bite mouthpiece has helped but I still get a tugging feeling on my regulator when I turn my head, which could be making me tense my jaw more.

A swivel sounds like it could help but it's also adding one more failure point.

Could you use a longer hose instead of a swivel?

R..

Longer and/or softer hose (Miflex) can help. I used the Omni swivel for years. Having gone to a 7' hose I find it unnecessary now. I even tried a 7' Miflex but it didn't make any difference in mouth use and the slipperier/lighter hose ended up being more of an issue than any help.
The Seattle Aquarium uses the Omni on all it's rigs and they are super safety conscious. Having said that mine came apart when it was brand new, in the water, at 90'. Some idiot at the factory didn't lock down the locknut and I didn't know enough then to check it. If you get one learn how it works and take care of it your self. Since then I used it for 10 years with no trouble.

I also tried a 70 degree swivel. Simpler, lighter, much cheaper, and probably about 70% as good as the Omni.

I was using a 70/110 adapter for the last couple of years but recently switched to the Omni-like swivel from Cave Adventurers. I like it a lot better.

I fould a longer hose just pushes the reg the opposite direction. I finally got the right length hose for my rig (it's very short) and added a swivel. I am now very happy. The reg doesn't pull even when I turn my head in any direction. I do think that the right length hose is as important as the swivel.

AS far as an additional failure point - bah humbug!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom