Second stage swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv the cave adventurers swivel is not made by omni. They work just fine especially for the price. I personally use omni's, but that's because I got a screaming deal on them. If I had to buy new, they'd be the CA swivels

Swivels are good tools. I also have a non-moving 45 degree angle adapter on one of my regulators and it seems to work just as well. Obviously the 45 doesn't move, but it makes things comfortable and no longer tug on the mouthpiece. My swivel isn't a ball in socket, so I do have to check the screw on it before dives. Maybe I'll replace it with one of the newfangled ball in socket jobbies while it's on my mind. Less maintenance = good.

Slightly longer hoses are nice, especially with a swivel or angle because you can route things differently. I like my regulator hose under my armpit so it's not sticking out around the side of my face. A side benefit here is that if someone were to "mug" me for a regulator due to them being OOA, there's a few extra inches of hose for them to use.

I have used a longer muthpiece and added an Atomic hose to the second with the ball swivel when I had a non-Atomic reg. Works for me. I think I was biting down on the short stock mouthpieces. When I got a new Atomic reg it came with the ball swivel.
My wife uses a Miflex hose and likes it. Seems to give a large degree of motion and packs well.

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like a failure point is not worth worrying about. I'm gonna give it a shot and see if it helps.

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like a failure point is not worth worrying about. I'm gonna give it a shot and see if it helps.
I think it's pretty safe. Route it under your arm. I went 40" hose routed under arm with a cave adventurers swivel. I like it.

Update: I went ahead and bough the Omni Swivel. Installation was very straightforward. I just did my first couple of dives with it, in combination with a Aqualung comfort-bite, in Grenada. It definitely reduced the tugging and reduced my overall awareness of the reg. I checked it a few times to see how much it was moving and it really did swivel about quite a bit. For someone who has experienced lockjaw after diving, this definitely made a difference.

@stuartv the cave adventurers swivel is not made by omni. They work just fine especially for the price. I personally use omni's, but that's because I got a screaming deal on them. If I had to buy new, they'd be the CA swivels

He said "Omni-like". I found the CA ones rather heavy. I now use the 70 DGX swivels and the Kirby Morgan ones, the idea I think which came from you. Cheers.

He said "Omni-like". I found the CA ones rather heavy. I now use the 70 DGX swivels and the Kirby Morgan ones, the idea I think which came from you. Cheers.
Do you have links handy?

Back
Top Bottom